Speaker Shirin Sharmin, Minister Inu join bdnews24.com’s ‘Terrific Ten Years’ celebrations
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-10-23 22:10:10.0 BdST Updated: 2016-10-26 10:14:01.0 BdST
Celebrations marking the "Terrific Ten" years of the first internet newspaper of Bangladesh, bdnews24.com, are under way at the ballroom of Dhaka’s Radisson Blu Dhaka Water Garden hotel.
Parliament Speaker Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury and Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu joined in the festivities on Sunday evening.
Inu said, "In the process of development of democracy and in developing nations, it is difficult to maintain honest and credible journalism. More so in a country like Bangladesh."
"bdnews24.com is trying to do it to its utmost capacity. Remaining firm to its commitment to journalistic ethics, it is disseminating news preserving its credibility," he observed.
At least 50 photographs published on bdnews24.com in 30 frames have been displayed on the walls of the ballroom depicting major moments in the political history of the country along with events that captured the collective imagination in the bygone decade.
The 2007 arrests of Awami League leader Sheikh Hasina and her BNP counterpart Khaleda Zia have been portrayed in the pictures. A photograph in the collection also shows a special moment of Jatiya Party leader H M Ershad during a 2012 public rally.
The pictures also recapitulate the 2012 Bangladesh trip of Hillary Clinton as US secretary of state.
Former British prime minister Tony Blair, India's Congress party chief Sonia Gandhi and football icon Lionel Messi have also been portrayed in the pictures during their tour of Bangladesh.
The 2012 attack on Buddha Viharas in Ramu, the 2007 Dhaka University students' skirmish with the army, the 2013 Hifazat-e Islam public gathering have also found place in the photo gallery.
Humayun Ahmed's shoot of his last movie is also among the photo collection.
The entrance to the ballroom has a digital screen displaying snapshots of the radical, ground-breaking journey of bdnews24.com.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Bangladesh airport authorities restrict visitors accompanying passengers
- Islamic State reportedly claims credit for Sylhet blasts