Gas prices rising due to graft: BNP
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-26 15:28:35.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-26 15:28:35.0 BdST
The rising price of gas is linked to graft, BNP Joint Senior Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi alleged on Monday.
“The gas companies have doubled their prices only nine months after the last hike. The companies are turning a profit, so why has the government decided to raise prices?”, he said.
“It is because of graft. This is simply a way to fill the pockets of the government and its supporters. On behalf of the BNP, I would like to condemn and protest this unfair and anti-people price hike."
Last August, the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission (BERC) proposed a doubling of the price of gas for residential use and a 42 percent increase in the price of gas for commercial and industrial purposes.
At a hearing on Aug 8, Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Company Ltd proposed raising the monthly price of single burner stoves from Tk 600 to Tk 1500, and the price of double burners from Tk 650 to Tk 1200.
The price of gas for residential use and a few other sectors had previously increased on Sep 1, 2015.
During the press conference at the BNP headquarters in Naya Paltan Rizvi said : "The lives of regular people are hard enough as it is. In such a situation, raising the price of gas impacts them adversely all the more.”
Factories find it increasingly difficult to work their furnaces due to low gas supply at most times of day, said Rizvi.
“Businessmen have told me that the cost of textile production has increased dramatically since the price of gas rose,” he said. “It has become very difficult for them to compete in the global market.”
“In their opinion, a 140 percent increase of the price of gas at this time will significantly harm our RMG, leather products, shipbuilding and other industries, and also affect small and large enterprises.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda will be able to contest elections even if she is convicted: Moudud
- BNP nominates Monirul Haque Sakku for Comilla City Corporation election
- CPB, BaSad questions BERC's role, announces 'public hearing' over gas prices hike
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Extradition of Bangabandhu killer will be a major breakthrough in Bangladesh-Canada relations: Shahriar
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- New government report finds Bangladesh island chosen to relocate Rohingyas as 'fit for habitation'
- Separate road crashes in Cox's Bazar leave five killed, at least 20 injured
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Old Dhaka road crash leaves medical college student killed
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- PM Hasina stresses product diversification, exploring new markets for apparel exports
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder