Government to make Bangladesh a failed state: BNP
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-25 16:43:30.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-25 16:43:30.0 BdST
The ‘unelected and illegal’ government is trying to turn Bangladesh into a failed state, says BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir.
His remarks on Sunday came in the context of comments by the chief justice concerning the competition for dominance among state bodies.
The BNP leader was attending a programme by its ally, the Bangladesh Khilafat Majlish at the capital.
“The government is turning the country into a place unfit to live,” claimed Mirza Fakhrul. “They have destroyed every pillar of the state.”
“I am not the only one to say so. Only yesterday (Saturday) the Honourable chief justice spoke of how the different institutions of the state are competing for dominance.”
At the National Judicial Conference on Saturday Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha had said: “All the state institutions are entangled in a fight for dominance. Not just agencies and institutions, even departments have become involved. The only exception is the judiciary.”
Mirza Fakhrul said the chief justice’s comments supported his own.
“Today the state is about to collapse. The government, intentionally and with careful planning, is trying to turn Bangladesh into a failed state.”
“I saw a horrific thing in the paper today,” he continued. “A four-year-old girl has been taken to hospital after being wounded in a militant attack. They say her mother and father were militants. I do not know the truth, but this is the state of our country now.”
The BNP leader said that ‘people of all religions, not only Islam, are under attack’.
“Hindu houses are ransacked. Their temples are desecrated. Buddhist monasteries are despoiled. The churches and cathedrals of Christians are destroyed.
"Santals are evicted from their land. The government has no respect for its people or their religions. They (govt) refuse to fulfill their duties. Our country is no longer safe.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Khaleda will be able to contest elections even if she is convicted: Moudud
- BNP nominates Monirul Haque Sakku for Comilla City Corporation election
- CPB, BaSad questions BERC's role, announces 'public hearing' over gas prices hike
- Suranjit's wife Joya seeks Awami League ticket to run for Sunamganj constituency
- CPB, BaSoD call half-day shutdown for Feb 28 against gas price hike
- BNP protests gas price hike, to demonstrate 'later'
- Awami League's plot behind Canada court's verdict: BNP
- Former BNP leader Tanbir Ahmed Siddiky's son Irad arrested
- Jatiya Party chief HM Ershad wants to see Syed Abul Hossain in Cabinet again
- Hasina taunts Khaleda for stepping onto main altar of the Shaheed Minar
- Extradition of Bangabandhu killer will be a major breakthrough in Bangladesh-Canada relations: Shahriar
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- New government report finds Bangladesh island chosen to relocate Rohingyas as 'fit for habitation'
- Separate road crashes in Cox's Bazar leave five killed, at least 20 injured
- Ruling Khulna MP's son using boundary wall to 'grab a family land'
- Old Dhaka road crash leaves medical college student killed
- Shaon files police complaint over 'embarrassing, horrifying' Facebook Live video
- PM Hasina stresses product diversification, exploring new markets for apparel exports
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder