Narayanganj officials clear eight candidates for mayor race
Narayanganj Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-11-27 16:00:58.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-27 16:14:37.0 BdST
Polls officials in Narayanganj have cleared eight candidates, including Awami League's Selina Hayat Ivy and BNP's Shakhawat Hossain, to contest for the position of the city mayor.
Independent candidate Sultan Mahmud has been disqualified as he failed to submit the required number of voters' support in the nomination documents.
The six other candidates are Inu-led JaSaD faction's Moslem Uddin Ahmed, Mahbubur Rahman Ismail from Biplobi Workers’ Party, Rashed Ferdous Sohel from Bangladesh Kalyan Party, Mufti Masum Billah of the Islami Andolan Bangladesh and independent candidate Mezbauddin Bhulu.
Returning Officer Nuruzzaman said those who have been denied nomination can appeal to Dhaka’s Divisional Commissioner.
The elections are slated for Dec 22 while the deadline to withdraw nominations is Dec 4.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Stop playing the militancy card for political gain, says BNP's Fakhrul
- Teesta deal to be signed in time, says Awami League's Obaidul Quader
- BNP, Jamaat lawyers dominate in Supreme Court Bar Association election
- Awami League joins Brussels to condemn terror attack
- Defence pact with India may ruin Bangladesh’s freedom, says Fakhrul
- SC clears way for Niko graft case against Khaleda Zia
- PM's India visit will mean nothing without signing of Teesta deal, says BNP's Mirza Fakhrul
- Ershad’s birthday celebrated in DU Madhu's Canteen
- Awami League capitalising on militancy, says BNP
- Terror attacks will be a problem before next national election, says Quader
- One killed in blast near Dhaka airport; police rule out 'suicide attack'
- Army para-commandos, SWAT launch assault on militant den in Sylhet's Shibbarhi
- 'Send in the SWAT!' - militant suspect tells police surrounding Sylhet building
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Islamic State 'claims responsibility for attack' at Dhaka airport roundabout
- Mashrafe urges Mustafizur to shine against Sri Lanka in Dambulla
- Army para-commandos, SWAT, police wait for final assault at Sylhet ‘militant den’
- Security forces mount raid on Sylhet building
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Bangladesh v Sri Lanka: First ODI in Dambulla