Narayanganj officials clear eight candidates for mayor race
Narayanganj Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-11-27 16:00:58.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-27 16:14:37.0 BdST
Polls officials in Narayanganj have cleared eight candidates, including Awami League's Selina Hayat Ivy and BNP's Shakhawat Hossain, to contest for the position of the city mayor.
Independent candidate Sultan Mahmud has been disqualified as he failed to submit the required number of voters' support in the nomination documents.
The six other candidates are Inu-led JaSaD faction's Moslem Uddin Ahmed, Mahbubur Rahman Ismail from Biplobi Workers’ Party, Rashed Ferdous Sohel from Bangladesh Kalyan Party, Mufti Masum Billah of the Islami Andolan Bangladesh and independent candidate Mezbauddin Bhulu.
Returning Officer Nuruzzaman said those who have been denied nomination can appeal to Dhaka’s Divisional Commissioner.
The elections are slated for Dec 22 while the deadline to withdraw nominations is Dec 4.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tarique Rahman's mother-in-law secures bail in graft case
- Election 'won't be easy' without BNP, Mirza Fakhrul says
- Stage collapses in Mohila Dal event in Chittagong, BNP leaders blame overcrowding
- Awami League MP Shamim Osman says Hifazat was not involved in May 5 Motijheel mayhem
- BNP questions Indian Army chief’s frequent Dhaka visit; ISPR says no visit scheduled
- Two CU BCL leaders expelled after clash with police
- Underfire Quader implores journalists not to make crow-hen reference
- HM Ershad acquitted of corruption charges over procuring radars
- Khaleda picks Sohel, Qayyum to lead BNP's Dhaka units
- BNP does not want Teesta deal under Hasina: Quader
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Man burns himself in attempted suicide during altercation with 'girlfriend'
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Moosa gets two weeks to appear before customs over seizure of car