Inflation rose again in February
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-03-14 16:54:14.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-14 16:54:14.0 BdST
The inflation rate rose again in February, following on the increase in January.
The inflation rate increased to 5.31 percent in February from 5.15 percent in January.
This means that something Tk 100 in 2016 would cost Tk 105.31 in February.
The data from the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics (BBS) was revealed to the media on Tuesday by Planning Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal at the NEC Conference Room in Dhaka’s Sher-e-Bangla Nagar.
He attributed the rise in the inflation rate to increase in the price of beef and edible oil.
The January hike in the inflation rate had been attributed to a rise in the price of coarse rice.
General inflation in the food sector rose from 6.53 percent in January to 6.84 percent in February.
Non-food inflation, however, has dropped slightly from 3.10 percent in January to 3.07 percent in February.
The general inflation rate in rural areas also increased from 4.92 percent to 5.14 percent between January and February.
Inflation in urban areas also rose slightly from 5.57 percent to 5.62 percent.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- Salman F Rahman surprised at seeing his name on global list of super-rich
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament
- Sheikh Hasina's India visit: What's new in Dhaka, Delhi defence tie?
- Customs seize Moosa bin Shamsher's car
- Ready to execute Mufti Hannan after receiving government order, says IG Prisons
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- Bangladesh warns of huge terrorist influx into India, says Times of India
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- HuJI leader Mufti Hannan might seek presidential clemency, say jail authorities
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’