Readymade clothing industry shining Bangladesh’s image: Shahriar
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-01 02:58:44.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-01 03:21:44.0 BdST
The state minister for foreign affairs has said the apparel industry is “inextricably linked with Bangladesh’s success story - not only in economic terms but also in projecting the country’s image”.
“Made in Bangladesh labels are now commonplace in American and European stores. McKinsey has called Bangladesh the “next China” and predicted that Bangladeshi garment exports, now about $28 billion a year, could be doubled by 2020,” Md Shahriar Alam said on Tuesday.
He was speaking at the closing ceremony of the Institute of Business Administration Communication Club’s (IBACC) ‘Brandwitz’.
The state minister said young entrepreneurs with their “new ideas could take this sector forward through their innovation and creativity”.
Shahriar added that Bangladesh’s branding “is not merely limited to economic fronts, our achievements in social sectors have also captured global attention”.
“Bangladesh has earned global applause and recognition in its role and contributions for women empowerment, poverty alleviation, climate change, water security, ICT and even in migration,” he said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings