Bangladesh sees individual income tax payments rise over 200%
Chief Economics Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-12-02 00:19:51.0 BdST Updated: 2016-12-02 00:19:51.0 BdST
The National Board of Revenue (NBR) has received 300,000 more tax returns within the period corresponding to the last year, which gives a rise of individual tax payments by 207 percent.
The NBR revealed the data on Thursday after the deadline to submit income tax for 2016-17 financial year ended on Wednesday midnight.
Though the number of people with Tax Identification Number (TIN) rose to around 1.98 million by June, only 1.1 million individual taxpayers have submitted tax returns in this fiscal, according to NBR.
The number of tax returnees, however, has risen by 40.34 percent this year.
The NBR has collected over Tk 33.35 billion income tax this year from individuals, up 207 percent from last year's Tk 10.84 billion, it added.
It took a slew of measures and programmes to raise the collection of income tax and to reach a new high this year.
The agency is supposed to collect Tk 2.03 trillion revenue, including Tk 719.4 billion income tax from individuals and organisations, as per the target set in the national budget.
According to the board, the number of TIN-holders rose from 1.9 million in June to 2.4 million until Wednesday.
The NBR said over 150,000 taxpayers have petitioned to extend the time to submit tax returns. They will have to pay 2 percent more per month from the end of the deadline to submit the return.
NBR Chairman Nojibur Rahman in a statement thanked the taxpayers for submitting returns.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Tripura to have three railway links with Bangladesh, says Indian minister
- US may accuse North Korea of theft of Bangladesh reserves at New York Fed: Wall Street Journal
- NSA official points the finger at North Korea in Bangladesh Bank heist
- New draft law proposes official clearance mandatory for building houses in villages
- World economy picks up after decade of stagnation
- Rooppur N-power plant: Bangladesh, Russia agree on spent fuel management plan
- Planning ministry detects misuse of fund in Chittagong court building construction
- Inflation rose again in February
- Foreign Direct Investment goes up by 7.8% in first seven months of 2016-17
- Islami Bank is not operating in Islamic way: Ibrahim Khaled
- One killed in blast near Dhaka airport; police rule out 'suicide attack'
- Security forces mount raid on Sylhet building
- 'Send in the SWAT!' - militant suspect tells police surrounding Sylhet building
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Not consulted by Centre on Teesta, state's interests come first: Mamata
- Ex-husband of slain bank employee Arifa caught in Tangail
- BNP, Jamaat lawyers dominate in Supreme Court Bar Association election
- Islamic State 'claims responsibility for attack' at Dhaka airport roundabout
- Bangladesh Bank building catches fire
- Final phase of smart NID distribution from Apr 10