Proposals cleared to buy 140MW more power from India
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-03-09 22:21:25.0 BdST Updated: 2016-03-09 23:12:32.0 BdST
The Cabinet Committee on Government Purchase (CCGP) has cleared two proposals to buy 140 megawatts of power from India.
Indian firm Jaiprakash Power Ventures Limited will supply 40MW in accordance with one of the proposals cleared on Wednesday.
Motafizur Rahman, an Additional Secretary at the Cabinet Division, briefed the media after the CCGP meeting, chaired by Finance Minister AMA Muhith, on Wednesday.
He said the 40MW will cost Tk 4.5 per kilowatt hour (kWh).
“We are buying this 40MW to make up the systems loss in 500MW we are already taking from India,” he said.
Under the other proposal, Bangladesh will buy 100MW from Tripura over five years at Tk 6.25 per kWh, Rahman said.
There will be a 5 percent price rise every year. The 100MW will cost Tk 24.43 billion, he added.
The CCGP approved eight other proposals including one to purchase 150,000 tonnes fertiliser at $450 per tonne from Saudi Arabia.
Among the others is a project, to be assigned to the army, to strengthen a 1,300-metre stretch of the Padma riverbank next to the Padma Bridge at a cost of Tk 3.92 billion.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings