Padma no longer an option for World Bank
India Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2015-09-28 16:29:37.0 BdST Updated: 2015-09-28 20:29:19.0 BdST
The World Bank has denied reports that it might return to fund the 6.15-km Padma rail-road bridge project.
“Bangladesh has withdrawn its funding request,” South Asia spokesman Alex Fergusson told bdnews24.com on the sidelines of the three-day regional economic conclave and added that the question did not arise at this stage with Bangladesh going ahead on its own.
Bangladesh withdrew its funding request amid a row over alleged corruption in the appointment of multi-million dollar consulting work for the Padma bridge project.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chinese investors find their cash is losing its cachet
- Foundation stone for Padma Rail bridge in April, says railways minister
- Two World Bank cars with Bangladesh customs following probe on duty dodging allegations
- CPD appoints Fahmida Khatun as new executive director
- ‘Democracy essential for economic development’
- Foreign portfolio investments in Bangladesh capital market skyrocketed 26 times in six months
- Bangladesh seeks US support to accelerate economic growth
- Bangladesh's Balance of Payment deficit increases
- Global Economy Weekahead: Soon time to watch for rising global inflation?
- Ex-BB governor Farashuddin slates 'high' mobile banking charges
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings