The combined tests for admission to the Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST) and Jessore Science and Technology University (JSTU) have been postponed amid protests in Sylhet.
Published : 26 Nov 2013, 09:59 PM
The tests were scheduled for Nov 30.
SUST Registrar Mohammad Ishfaqul Hossan told bdnews24.com on Tuesday that the academic council had decided on the postponement following a meeting with people’s representatives in Sylhet.
He said the new exam date would be announced later.
The authorities of the two public universities had decided to hold the combined tests after getting the University Grants Commission’s endorsement. The two universities had made preparations over the past two and a half months.
The admission committee had earlier said 43,829 students sought entry to SUST and 5,825 to JSTU, while 5,613 students applied for appearing in the tests of both the institutions.
Of the students, 6,818 wanted to take the exam at Jessore centres for admission to SUST, and 3,203 wished to sit the test at Sylhet centres for entry to JSTU.
The admission committee said there was no scope denying students of any area a fair chance to get admitted under the combined exams.
It claimed the combined exam had been scheduled in a manner to minimize trouble for the students.
Not convinced, Sylhet residents started an agitation against the test schedule.
The SUST authorities held meetings with people’s representatives from different strata of society.