An ‘agreement’ was made after speaking to representatives of the police personnel on strike, the home secretary says
Published : 12 Aug 2024, 08:31 AM
Police personnel conducting a work stoppage have agreed to return to work after the home advisor for the interim cabinet approved their demand to change their current ‘uniform’.
Based on the meeting, it was decided that the non-cadre police personnel – who have been conducting a work stoppage since the government changeover in the face of a student-led mass movement – will return to work from Monday.
Home Secretary Jahangir Alam, who was present at the meeting, said an ‘agreement’ had been reached with police representatives.
Sheikh Hasina resigned her premiership amid widespread public protests on Aug 5. Since then, police have been attacked and killed in various parts of the country, including Dhaka. Many have not returned to work out of fear for their security. Those who did return had gone to their police stations in plainclothes. They expressed their anger over various issues and made an 11-point list of demands.
M Sakhawat Hossain, home affairs advisor to the interim government, met with the striking policemen at the Secretariat on Sunday.
The meeting, which lasted for nearly two hours from 4pm, was attended by Home Secretary Jahangir Alam, IGP Md Mainul Islam, members of an investigation committee formed by the IGP and anti-government protest leaders.
After the meeting, one of the members of the committee, Sgt Asaduzzaman Jewel, told bdnews24.com, "After the meeting with the home affairs advisor, we received assurances and we will wear our uniforms and rejoin work from Monday."
He said that the home adviser had given assurances that the police force will be restructured by forming an independent commission to ensure that the police cannot be used by any political party.
"In the meeting, they agreed to the demands, including changing the current uniform of the police."
Following the fall of the government, many policemen were killed and police stations torched. This led to police at the field level going on strike. They stood firm on their demands despite a meeting with the IGP and threats to return to work in 24 hours.
In response to a question on the issue of security, Sgt Jewell said that there would be no problem as the police would have the army and BGB on their side.
Home Secretary Jahangir said: "The meeting discussed various demands. The honourable adviser said that those that can be implemented quickly will be worked on. The rest will be implemented by the IGP in phases."
Earlier, on Aug 8, IGP Mainul held a meeting with personnel from different levels of the police force. He then formed a committee of eight members.
The home advisor was supposed to go to the Rajarbagh Police Lines last Saturday to talk to the policemen but did not go. When the IGP went, he faced a backlash from the policemen.
Home Advisor Sakhawat went to see the policemen being treated at the Rajarbagh Police Lines Hospital on Sunday but did not go to the police lines.
After coming to the ministry on his first working day, he became acquainted with its officials and met with police representatives.