South Korean court dismisses arrest warrant for Samsung chief
Published: 2017-01-19 03:04:05.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-19 03:11:02.0 BdST
A South Korean court has dismissed a warrant to arrest the head of the Samsung Group, the country's largest conglomerate, a court spokesman has said, amid a graft scandal that led to the impeachment of President Park Geun-hye.
The decision by the Seoul Central District Court to allow Jay Y Lee to go home on Thursday is likely to come as a major relief to the company and for Lee, who has tried to fill the vacuum in the group's leadership since his father suffered a heart attack in 2014.
Lee had been questioned for 22 hours last week and was held overnight on Wednesday while the court reached its decision.
The judge said in a statement that after reviewing the contents and the process of the investigation so far, it "deemed it difficult to acknowledge the necessity" of an arrest at the current stage.
A Samsung Group spokeswoman did not have an immediate comment.
The group's flagship, Samsung Electronics, is the world's biggest maker of smartphones, flatscreen TVs and memory chips.
The special prosecutor's office on Monday said it would seek a warrant to arrest the third-generation leader of Samsung on suspicion of bribery, embezzlement and perjury.
Lee had denied wrongdoing.
Park, 64, was impeached last month by parliament over the influence-peddling scandal, a decision that if upheld by the Constitutional Court will see her become the country's first democratically elected leader forced from office early.
Park, who remains in office but stripped of her powers while the court decides her fate, has also denied wrongdoing.
The special prosecutor has accused Lee of paying bribes totaling 43 billion won ($36.70 million) to organizations linked to Choi Soon-sil, a friend of the president who is at the center of the scandal, to secure the 2015 merger of two affiliates and cement his control of the family business.
Earlier this week, the special prosecutor indicted the chairman of the National Pension Service, the world's third-largest pension fund, on charges of abuse of power and giving false testimony.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash
- Germany blocked Russian hacking attacks in 2016
- Twitter explores subscription-based option for first time
- YouTube's bid to grab TV dollars imperiled by advertiser revolt'
- Apple drives further into Facebook, Snap territory with video app
- Twitter suspended more than 636,000 accounts since 2015 to tackle extremism
- G20 to jointly fight bank sector hacking
- US charges Russian spies, hackers in massive Yahoo hack
- Justice Department to announce indictments in massive Yahoo hack: source
- Intel's $15bn purchase of Mobileye shakes up driverless car sector
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- Superb Tamim, gritty Shakib fire Bangladesh to crushing win over Sri Lanka
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- Crocodile kills man at Barguna eco-park
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Bangladesh airport authorities restrict visitors accompanying passengers
- Islamic State reportedly claims credit for Sylhet blasts