Bangladesh to browse internet at slow speed for '15 more days'
Senior Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-05 19:24:16.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-05 19:57:23.0 BdST
Internet speed in Bangladesh will be slower than usual for the next 15 days because of damage to three vital cables.
The three were among the five cables that provide internet bandwidth in the subcontinent, said the Internet Service Provider Association of Bangladesh on Thursday.
"The speed issue will not be as bad but quality will suffer," said Sumon Ahmed Sabir, chief technology officer at Fiber@home Limited.
The fibre cables that were damaged are owned by India's Tata Communications and Bharati Airtel.
The daily usage of the internet in Bangladesh amounts to 400 Gbps. Of that, 120 Gbps are transferred via the Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Limited (BSCCL).
The remaining 280 Gbps is imported from India.
More than 75 percent of the bandwidth is provided by International Terrestrial Cable (ITC), an alternative to submarine cables, said ISPAB.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Impact of job-stealing robots a growing concern at Davos
- Uber to invest more than $60 million in Sao Paulo support center
- South Korean court dismisses arrest warrant for Samsung chief
- Facebook's virtual-reality tech was not stolen, Zuckerberg testifies
- Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year
- China's Baidu opens augmented reality lab to boost falling profits
- Samsung Electronics probe finds battery was main cause of Note 7 fires: Source
- Startup investors fret over risks of mass data collection
- Nintendo disappoints with $299 price for new Switch console
- US appeals court revives antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Uber raises fare price two months after Dhaka launch
- Dhaka city cleaning trucks gather dust in repair yard
- Private Toyota car found abandoned at Sherpur market
- Bangladesh home minister's son demands hanging of 'atheist' on Facebook
- Former Egypt ambassador in Dhaka to take back his seized car
- Two missing Gaibandha Awami League leaders 'remember nothing' on return
- RAB ‘framed, beat’ Germany-based Bangladeshi expat
- Southee takes five as Bangladesh dismissed for 289
- 'The work begins!': Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US president
- Trump, sworn in as US president, vows to put 'America First' in defiant speech