RAW behind Zia killing, says BNP's Rizvi
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-03-15 22:13:22.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-15 22:13:22.0 BdST
India's RAW was behind the assassination of former Bangladesh president Ziaur Rahman, claims BNP leader Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
His allegation follows a comment by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina who recently blamed the Indian spy agency for working to keep 'the Awami League out of power'.
Gen Ziaur Rahman, who became president after the killing of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in 1975, was killed in a failed military coup in 1981.
The BNP founder's policies had earned him the 'pro-Pakistan' label from leaders of the Awami League, the party that led the struggle to liberate Bangladesh in 1971.
Rizvi, BNP senior joint secretary general, mentioned an article by Indian magazine Sunday, while making the allegation against RAW.
The weekly political news magazine was once headed by MJ Akbar.
The journalist, who left Congress to join the BJP, was currently state minister for external affairs in Narendra Modi's cabinet.
"A report carried by the Sunday 25 to 26 years ago said that RAW opened a file to eliminate president Ziaur Rahman."
"It said the file was closed after prime minister Morarji (Desai) came to power in India. His predecessor Indira Gandhi had opened it."
"The file was reopened when the Indira Gandhi returned to power. Within a few days, Ziaur Rahman was killed in the hands of unruly soldiers at Chittagong's Circuit House on May 30, 1981," Rizvi said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- PM's India visit will mean nothing without signing of Teesta deal, says BNP's Mirza Fakhrul
- Ershad’s birthday celebrated in DU Madhu's Canteen
- Awami League capitalising on militancy, says BNP
- Terror attacks will be a problem before next national election, says Quader
- Obaidul Quader quashes concerns over 'secret defence deal' with India as 'baseless'
- RAW behind Zia killing, says BNP's Rizvi
- PM Hasina calls people for keeping confidence in Awami League
- Asian Group chairman running for weavers’ group Tanti League president
- RAW played a role in 2014 polls, Mirza Fakhrul believes
- Obaidul Quader says ‘shops’ like Olama League should be closed
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament
- Sheikh Hasina's India visit: What's new in Dhaka, Delhi defence tie?
- Customs seize Moosa bin Shamsher's car
- Ready to execute Mufti Hannan after receiving government order, says IG Prisons
- Sonali Bank gets Bangladesh Bank nod to start PayPal services
- Bangladesh warns of huge terrorist influx into India, says Times of India
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- HuJI leader Mufti Hannan might seek presidential clemency, say jail authorities
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’