Met office warns ports over low in the Bay of Bengal
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-04-15 16:22:55.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-15 16:22:55.0 BdST
The Met office has advised all fishing boats and trawlers over the north Bay of Bengal not to venture into the deep sea.
Maritime ports have been asked to hoist ‘distant cautionary signal No. 1’.
The “well-marked low” over the southeast Bay and adjoining areas intensified into a depression over the same area.
“It is likely to intensify further and move in a north-northeasterly direction,” Bangladesh Meteorological Department said in a special weather bulletin on Saturday.
The depression was centred at 9am Saturday about 1,210km south-southwest of Chittagong port, 1,140km south-southwest of Cox’s Bazar port, 1,175km south-southwest of Mongla port and 1,140km south-southwest of Payra port.
“Maximum sustained wind speed within 44km of the depression centre is about 40kph rising to 50kph in gusts or squalls,” the Met office said. “Sea will remain moderate near the depression centre.”
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US EPA says website undergoing makeover to match Trump, Pruitt views
- Chemicals spill at Tesla battery factory, no serious injuries
- Met office warns ports over low in the Bay of Bengal
- Anger burns on Vietnam's poisoned coast a year after spill
- Trump to sign order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- Thousands take shelter as Cyclone Debbie lashes Australian coastal resorts
- Trump greenlights Keystone XL pipeline, but obstacles loom
- Trump to roll back use of climate change in policy reviews: source
- In race to curb climate change, cities outpace governments
- EPA chief unconvinced on CO2 link to global warming
- Assistant Commissioner’s body found at Officer’s mess
- Reciter, freedom fighter Kazi Arif dies in New York hospital
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Bangladesh’s new mission in Guwahati starts functioning
- Chapainawabganj hideout was a storehouse for militants: Police
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters
- I won’t run for president because of my children: Michelle Obama
- Why Bangladesh was not warned of Haor flooding by India, asks BELA
- Police probe finds detectives acted 'unethically' in Kafrul club raid
- River ferries resume from Sadarghat after one-hour rough weather pause