Mahershala Ali wins supporting actor Oscar for 'Moonlight'
Published: 2017-02-27 10:55:43.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-27 10:55:43.0 BdST
Mahershala Ali won the best supporting actor Oscar on Sunday for his role as a drug-dealing mentor to an impoverished black boy in the intimate independent drama "Moonlight."
Ali, 43, plays Juan, a drug dealer who takes a young black boy living in Miami with a drug-addict mother, under his wing.
It was the first Oscar win and nomination for Ali who was considered the frontrunner in the category after winning a slew of earlier awards for his performance.
Accepting the award on stage, Ali thanked his teachers.
"One thing that they consistently told me ... is that it wasn't about you," Ali said. "It's not about you. It's about these characters. You are in service to these stories and these characters."
In "Moonlight," Ali's Juan teaches young Chiron to swim and encourages him to not be weighed down by his environment but rather to carve his own destiny.
Ali also appeared in another Oscar-nominated movie this year, "Hidden Figures," in which he plays a US colonel who woos Taraji P. Henson's black female mathematician in the 1960s.
The Oakland, California, actor is probably best known for playing former White House Chief of Staff Remy Danton in Netflix's political drama "House of Cards," and conniving Cottonmouth in Netflix's Marvel superhero series "Luke Cage."
Ali's career has spanned television, film and theatre. He started out playing a doctor on TV series "Crossing Jordan" in 2001, and since then has had roles in dozens of projects including TV series "Treme" and "Alphas."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Knight Riders, Gauri Khan pulled up for forex rule violation
- Anupam Kher to be honoured with Kala Ratan Award
- Rebooted Power Rangers return to big screen
- Harrison Ford called himself a 'schmuck' after plane incident
- Disney stole 'Zootopia,' writer claims in US lawsuit
- Vast Beatles collection goes on auction in Paris
- Rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry dies at 90
- Polanski cannot dictate terms to end rape case: LA prosecutors
- Ben Affleck says he has completed treatment for alcohol addiction
- Paul McCartney should wait to get back Beatles songs, Sony/ATV says
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Bangladesh airport authorities restrict visitors accompanying passengers
- Islamic State reportedly claims credit for Sylhet blasts