Forex reserve crosses record $18bn
Published: 2013-12-19 16:19:46.0 BdST Updated: 2013-12-19 21:45:07.0 BdST
Bangladesh's foreign currency reserves have crossed the $18-billion mark for the first time due to buoyant remittance flow and rising export income.
"The reserves at Bangladesh Bank topped $18-billion mark on Thursday afternoon," Quazi Saidur Rahman, General Manager of the bank’s Forex Reserve and Treasury Management Division told bdnews24.com.
It will be possible to foot import bills for six months with the money, he said.
As per the international standard, a country has to have enough foreign currency reserve to meet import costs for at least three months.
The amount is the highest in Bangladesh's independent history.
A media statement from the central Bank on Thursday said it had a reserve of $18.05 bln -- second only to India among the SAARC countries.
It said the reserve rose due to positive remittance flow, a 16.46 percent increase in export earnings, stable exchange rates, increased foreign currency flow due to opportunities for private sectors to take loans in foreign currencies, buoyant rice production, and lower import cost.
The reserve stood at $10 bln on Dec 10, 2009. It crossed the $15 bln-mark on May 7 this year and topped the $17 bln-mark on Oct 22.
Bangladesh is trying to boost its forex reserve although the current one is satisfactory in view of the country's overall economic condition, the Bank said in the statement.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh sees individual income tax payments rise over 200%
- Philippines can get RCBC to pay, says Law Minister Anisul Huq
- PKSF programme ends , so does 'Monga'
- Bangladesh once again weighs suing NY Fed over cyber heist after Philippines bank’s statement
- Income tax returns can be filed until midnight
- Philippine bank and Bangladesh play blame game over missing millions
- Finance Minister Muhith unwilling to make BB heist probe report public, says apex bank officials
- Muhith’s net worth increased Tk 8.3m in 9 years
- Water for three Chittagong Hill Tract villages in Bandarban
- Tax-paying no more taxing, says Muhith as he eyes 1.8 million taxpayers
- What Dhaka’s Bus Rapid Transit will be like
- Fallen smartphone brand Nokia challenges Apple, Samsung again
- Bangladesh MPs must stop draft law allowing ‘exceptional’ child marriages: HRW
- Journalists demonstrate in Bangladesh against MP Dabirul’s lawsuit over bdnews24.com report
- UN wants more Bangladesh peacekeepers for South Sudan
- Trump to nominate retired General Mattis for Pentagon
- Bangladesh receives Parliament building's original design by Louis I Kahn
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi says international attention fuelling Buddhist-Muslim divisions
- Defence minister’s first-ever visit ‘strengthened fraternal ties' with Bangladesh armed forces: India
- Moonwalker Buzz Aldrin medically evacuated from South Pole