Violence mars Shibir strike
Published: 2013-04-11 03:22:26.0 BdST Updated: 2013-04-11 03:25:15.0 BdST
Three vehicles were set on fire on Thursday morning as a nationwide whole-day strike called by Islami Chhatra Shibir took effect.
Sporadic explosions and processions in support of the strike were reported from several areas of Dhaka in the morning.
Two buses were set on fire near Jagannath University in Old Dhaka around 7:45am, Kotwali Police Station SI Rakibur Hassan said. Locals put out the fire before fire fighters arrived.
“Shibir activists exploded some home-made bombs and damaged some vehicles near Chief Metropolitan Magistrates Court (adjacent to Jagannath University),” Hassan said.
Shibir activists set a four-wheeler on fire in Jatrabari’s Bibir Bagicha area around 6:30am, Jatrabari Police Station SI Emranul Islam said. They also tried to set a bus on fire in Mir Hazirbagh area. Six people including an Shibir activist were nabbed from there.
Six home-made bombs were recovered from the roof of a mosque near Azimpur bus stand around 6:00am. Police conducted the search in the mosque after receiving specific information about the bombs, Lalbagh Police Station OC Nurul Mustakin said.
Meanwhile, two Shibir activist were picked up from a pro-strike procession near Prashika Bhaban in Mirpur in the morning, Pallabi Police Station OC Abdul Latif said.
Two Shibir activists were shot during clashes with police in the port city of Chittagong on Thursday morning .
Eight Shibir activists were nabbed with firearms , bombs and sharp weapons last night in the city.
The strike has been called to press for the release of Shibir President Delwar Hussen. It follows a string of strikes for three days .
Earlier, the BNP-led 18-Party alliance observed a 36-hour strike on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Monday, the Hifazat-e-Islam observed a daylong strike.
You may also like
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Mustafizur back in Bangladesh after winning IPL crown, says he wants to learn more
- Police arrest ‘friend’ of Mahiya Mahi in case filed by film actress
- Bangladesh school suspends Hindu teacher for ‘Like’ on Facebook post against Islam
- Blocked unregistered SIMs can be reactivated immediately as per new BTRC guidelines
- Shawon, sued by Mahiya Mahi, claims he and the actress are still married
- Indian High Commission to host visa camp in Dhaka before Eid holidays
- Hasina wishes Mustafizur on IPL success but worries about too much exposure
- Singapore convicts four Bangladeshis of terrorism financing
- Mustafizur’s English county debut at Sussex may be delayed due to injuries
- Court orders death for six, life imprisonment for another in 2015 Ashulia bank heist