Clashes erupt between BNP activists and govt supporters outside Bakshibazar court

A clash has erupted between BNP activists and government supporters outside a special court at Dhaka's Bakshibazar area.

Published : 24 Dec 2014, 07:05 AM
Updated : 24 Dec 2014, 07:24 PM

Amid the violence, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia appeared before Dhaka's Third Special Judge's Court on Wednesday during a hearing of graft cases against her.

At least 50 people have been injured in the hour-long clash that began around noon and stretched from Bakshibazar to the Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH) area.'s Kamal Talukder reported from the scene that at least eight to 10 people were beaten with sticks.

Meanwhile, ruling party MP from Netrokona Chhabi Biswas was attacked in front of the DMCH during the clash. The attackers set his car on fire.

Khaleda headed for the court from her Gulshan residence around 11:30am.

Activists of the party and its front organisations, who had been gathering at Bakshibazar since morning, took out a march around 12:15pm.

The procession was attacked at the Bakshibazar intersection. BNP activists ran towards the BUET campus in Palashi, where members of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) attacked them and a clash erupted.

BCL is the student affiliate of the ruling Awami League.

The BNP and Awami League supporters hurled stones and attacked each other with sticks.

Police intervened after a while, firing blank shots and tear-gas canisters to disperse them.

The BNP activists then left the spot and moved towards Chankarpul area, leading to a containment of the situation for the time being.

As Khaleda’s motorcade arrived in the area, a group of BNP activists with sticks escorted the party chief's car to the court.

As soon as Khaleda's car arrived at the court, police charged baton on BNP supporters, who were trying to enter the court premises.

BNP supporters moved away and began hurling stones at the law enforcers.

The court of Dhaka's Third Special Judge Abu Ahmed Jamadar deferred the hearing and set Jan 7 for the next hearing as Khaleda's lawyer pleaded for more time.

Meanwhile, BNP activists continued their agitation even as the court proceedings began.

They set fire to a motorcycle at the Chankarpul and started to move towards the DMCH when the police dispersed them by water cannon and teargas.

Amid the clash in front of DMCH, Netrokona-1 MP Chhabi Biswas was attacked and his car was set on fire by a mob of about 50 people.

The lawmaker suffered injuries in the head and police rushed him to the DMCH.

"I came here to check on a freedom fighter who is being treated here and am now receiving treatment myself," said Biswas.

The clashes at Bakshibazar, Nazimuddin Road, Palashi and Chankarpul continued for over an hour until 1:15pm.

Khaleda left the court for her Gulshan residence around 1:30pm.