Bangladeshi man killed in attack by Rohingyas in Cox’s Bazar

A Bangladeshi man has been killed in an attack by Rohingya refugees in Cox’s Bazar.

Cox’s Bazar Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 28 Oct 2017, 11:55 AM
Updated : 28 Oct 2017, 11:55 AM

The victim has been identified as 28-year-old Abdul Jabbar, who passed away around 3pm on Saturday while undergoing treatment, said Ramu Police Station OC Md Liakat Ali.

Police have detained two Rohingya refugees, 22-year-old Ziabul Haque and his aunt 25-year-old Bhaola Khatun, over the attack.

Bhaola Khatun had lived in Cox’s Bazar for the past few years. About a year ago, she paid a middleman named Shukkur to construct a home on land owned by the Forests Department. About a month ago she was joined by her nephew.

“Shukkur and Jabbar had argued over the public land. On Saturday morning, guard Abdul Jabbar was set upon and killed by Ziabul and Bhaola Khatun.”

Locals rescued Jabbar and took him to Cox’s Bazar Sadar Hospital. He died as he was being transferred to Chittagong Medical College Hospital. 

The victim had been struck on the head with a sharp weapon, the OC said.

According to Khuniapalong Union Chairman Abdul Mabud, the land belongs to the Forest Division, but had been owned by Shukkur previously. Shukkur then allowed Bhaola Khatun to occupy it in exchange for money. Khatun’s husband lives in Myanmar.

Police are looking for others involved in the incident, OC Ali said.

Toufique Imrose Khalidi
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher