Committee formed to probe slain blogger Niloy’s claim that police refused to register GD in May

Bangladesh Police have formed a committee to look into the three-month-old allegation of slain blogger Niladri Chatterjee Niloy that police had refused to accept a general diary (GD) he went to file at a police station in May after he had become a target of the extremists.

Published : 8 August 2015, 06:21 PM
Updated : 8 August 2015, 06:21 PM

Dhaka Metropolitan Police’s Motijheel division Additional Deputy Commissioner Md Tarek Bin Rashid will lead the three-member probe panel, said Deputy Commissioner Muntasirul Islam on Saturday.

Tarek Bin Rashid told the committee was formed following a direct order from Inspector General of Police AKM Shahidul Hoque.

“We’ll investigate based on Niloy’s (Facebook) post. Actions will be taken against anyone if found guilty,” he added.

Twenty seven-year-old Niloy was hacked to death by unidentified assailants at his East Gorhan home in Dhaka on Friday.

He was an activist of the Ganajagaran Mancha, the popular movement demanding maximum penalty for war crimes convicts and banning of religion-based politics.

He wrote against communalism and fundamentalism as Niloy Neel on social networking sites and used to blog under the same name.

On May 15, in a post on Facebook he had said that he knew he was a target of the radicals.

He wrote that two men followed him when he was returning from a protest held in Dhaka against the murder of another blogger, Ananta Bijoy Das.

Das was killed in May in broad daylight in Sylhet.

Niloy wanted to file a GD but police ‘advised him to leave the country as early as possible’ instead.

He said a police officer personally told him that police usually avoid taking these complaints because the official who would accept the GD would become accountable for ensuring the person’s safety.

“If something happens to the person, the official may lose his job on charges of dereliction of duty… I was told,” read Niloy’s post.

The blogger wrote he crossed an array of police stations while being followed. He finally went to the police station, which had the jurisdiction of the area in question, but was turned away.

“They didn’t take the GD. They said ‘It’s not within our purview. Contact that police station that has the jurisdiction and leave the country as soon as possible’.”

The post, however, does not say where Niloy was being followed in May.

Additional DC Tarek Bin Rashid on Saturday said, “Police stations generally do not keep three-month-old CCTV video footages. However, we will try and scrutinise the video footages from Khilgaon Police Station.”

Niloy was the fourth blogger to have been brutally murdered this year.

All of them were involved with the Ganajagaran Mancha.

Toufique Imrose Khalidi
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher