Heat wave to continue for at least 3 days across Bangladesh

A blistering heat wave sweeping across vast swathes of Bangladesh is likely to continue for three more days, Bangladesh Meteorological Department (BMD) says.

Senior Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 4 June 2015, 01:27 PM
Updated : 4 June 2015, 01:27 PM

Officials say extra humidity in air is making the heat unbearable.

On Thursday, Bangladesh’s highest temperature was recorded at 38.4 degrees Celsius in Jessore. In Dhaka, temperature rose to 35.7C.

Forecast official Ruhul Kuddus said it was this summer’s last heat wave.

“It will continue for at least another three days,” he told bdnews24.com.

But he said there were chances of rain across Bangladesh by the end of next week.

In its forecast, the Met office said a mild to moderate heat wave sweeping over Rajshahi, Khulna and Barisal divisions as well as Faridpur, Comilla, Chandpur, Noakhali and Cox’s Bazar might continue.

Day temperature may rise slightly but night temperature is likely to remain unchanged across Bangladesh.

The south-west monsoon may advance up to Teknaf coat within the next 72 hours.

In neighbouring India, over 2,000 people have perished in an extreme heat wave last month.

File Photo

For Friday, the Met office forecast rain or thunder showers accompanied by temporary gusty or squally winds in parts of Rajshahi, Rangpur, Dhaka, Sylhet and Chittagong divisions.

But the weather may remain mainly dry with temporary partly cloudy sky elsewhere.

BMD Director Md Shah Alam said one or two low could originate at the Bay of Bengal in June.

There are chances of incessant rainfall in the north-east region and flash floods in the hills.

On Thursday, the humidity in Dhaka was 89 percent, which forecaster Kuddus says is normal.

He said it was sweltering in the third week of ‘Jaistha’ (Bangla month of summer) as the air was more humid.

Doctors have suggested people to stay indoors, drink lots of fluid to prevent different summer diseases and keep an eye on the children and elderly.

“The situation will become normal within several days,” Kuddus said.