The information ministry in a media statement on Wednesday dubbed the Editors’ Council statement as ‘devoid of reality, fabricated, motivated and unfortunate’.
It said the government believed in the freedom of the media and that it supplemented democracy.
“So the government is always working to keep the media active, free and dynamic.”
It added the government did not enforce any law which interfered with the media over the last six years and two months.
“At this moment, there is no law in the country which infringes on the freedom of the media.”
The ministry also said that media organisations owned by political parties, quarters or individuals known to be staunch critics of the government had been operating with absolute independence.
It clarified that Parliament reserved the right to discuss anything in the country including media reports and roles and that was in no way to be construed as interference.
The statement by the organisation of the print media editors said, "We have noticed with concern that it has recently become very difficult for newspapers and national media to work independently and neutrally."
However, the statement undersigned by the Council's General Secretary and Daily Star Editor Mahfuz Anam has caused a deep schism in the organisation.
Its President and Daily Samakal Editor Golam Sarwar has denied knowledge about the statement.
Daily Bhorer Kagoj Editor Shyamal Dutta told bdnews24.com on Tuesday: "I didn't attend the meeting. I don't agree with the statement's contents."