Fire at Ashulia garment factory

A readymade garment's factory in Savar's Ashula was caught on fire Thursday.

Savar Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 26 Dec 2013, 03:54 AM
Updated : 26 Dec 2013, 08:09 AM

Dhaka Export Processing Zone's (DEPZ) fire station official Abdul Hamid Mia said the fire broke out at the 7-storey building around 8am on Thursday.

Two units of the fire service have put out the fire around 10am.

He said they suspect an electrical malfunction at the store-room on the factory's sixth floor may have caused the fire.

No one was, however, injured as the factory was not in operation when the fire erupted.
About 700 workers work in the factory, the management says.
Ashulia Police Station OC Badrul Alam said the machinery and the stores on the 6th floor were burnt down in the fire.
However, the amount of loss is yet to be assessed.
Authorities of five other factories in the area declared the day off as the fire at Japan-Bangla factory created panic among their workers.
Toufique Imrose Khalidi
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher