Rana Plaza investigator censured

A Dhaka court has served a show-cause notice on the investigating officer of the Rana Plaza collapse for failing to file a report on the accident that had left at least 1,130 people dead.

Staff Correspondentbdnews24.com
Published : 24 Nov 2013, 01:50 PM
Updated : 24 Nov 2013, 01:50 PM

Dhaka’s Senior Judicial Magistrate Kazi Shahidul Islam on Sunday served the notice, giving Criminal Investigation Department (CID) ASP Bijoy Krishna Kar time until Dec 24 to respond.

Rana Plaza, which housed six readymade garment factories at Savar on the outskirts of capital Dhaka, collapsed on Apr 24 this year.

The victims of one of the world’s worst building disasters involving industries were mostly factory workers.

Additional Public Prosecutor Anwarul Kabir told bdnews24.com that Dec 24 had been fixed as the next date for hearing in the case. “The investigation officer has been asked to respond to the show-cause notice within that time.”

He said eight of the 22 accused in the two cases – one filed under the Criminal Procedure Code and another under Building Construction Act – had secured bail from the High Court.

They include the building owner Sohel Rana’s father Abdul Khaleque and engineer ‘Intemam’.

The other accused are in custody.

All the accused were present in court during Sunday’s hearing.

Rana told reporters that he also wanted a prompt submission of charge-sheet.

Toufique Imrose Khalidi
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher