Trump’s win sparks California call for 'Calexit' from US
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-11-10 03:55:09.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-10 09:29:17.0 BdST
People in the state of California have taken to social media following Donald Trump’s stunning victory in the White House race to call for ‘Calexit’ – a Brexit-inspired nickname – from the United States, a report says.
The campaign, started on Tuesday night, “is swiftly taking over social media, the “Business Insider” reports.
The #Calexit hashtag and another one called #Caleavefornia” are trending on Twitter.
Californians who are favouring secession from the union were to gather on Wednesday on the steps of the capitol in Sacramento.
Yes California Independence Campaign, a group formed in August is leading the campaign, the report said.
The secession movement has been riding a wave of interest since June 20 vote by the United Kingdom to leave the European Union.
The movement has drawn some impressive backers, such as Shervin Pishevar, an early investor in Uber, who had tweeted that he would bankroll the campaign.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangladesh, Poland agree to work on migration and maritime economy sectors
- Jatiya Party presidium member Bablu marries Ershad’s niece
- ISPR dismisses Times of India report on Indian Army chief's Dhaka visit as 'baseless'
- India 'relaxes' loan conditions for Bangladesh, Finance Minister Muhith says
- Lightning kills five in Bangladesh coastal districts
- Initial tests reveal radiation in Sunamganj backswamps not alarming
- Death toll in Dinajpur rice mill boiler blast rises to nine
- Govt promotes 267 public servants to deputy secretaries
- Man burns himself in attempted suicide during altercation with 'girlfriend'
- Moosa gets two weeks to appear before customs over seizure of car