14 killed as truck ploughs into villagers in Andhra
Published: 2017-04-21 20:16:01.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-21 20:16:01.0 BdST
At least 14 persons were killed and 24 injured when a truck rammed into a group of villagers standing outside some shops in Andhra Pradesh's Chittoor district on Friday, police said.
The speeding truck hit an electric pole, before ramming into roadside shops on the Puthalapattu-Naidupeta Road in Yerpadu, about 30 km from the temple town of Tirupati.
Police said the accident occurred near Yerpadu police station. A group of villagers, including farmers, who had come to the police station were standing near the shops at the time of accident.
People from some villages had come to the police station to complain about illegal sand mining from Swarnamukhi river.
Tirupati Urban Superintendent of Police R. Jayalakshmi, who was present in the police station at the time of accident, said most of the casualties were due to electrocution. The injured were shifted to Ruia Hospital and Sri Venkateshwara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) in Tirupati and CHC Hospital in Srikalahasti.
The condition of six of the injured is critical and they were being shifted to CMC Vellore and Chennai.
Jayalakshmi said a circle inspector, a sub-inspector of police and constable were among those injured. She said the driver apparently lost control of the vehicle. The exact cause of the accident was under investigation.
The truck crushed 10 two-wheelers, two auto rickshaws and a police vehicle before hitting an electric pole and shops. Both the driver and cleaner escaped after the crash.
The Andhra Pradesh government announced Rs 5 lakh ex-gratia each for the families of those killed. Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu directed officials to ensure best possible treatment to the injured.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- May's Conservatives take 23 point poll lead, matching Thatcher landslide - Ipsos MORI
- Trump tells Canada, Mexico, he won't terminate NAFTA treaty: White House
- Trump plan to slash business taxes to test Congress on deficit
- Trump proposes 15 percent business tax rate: White House summary
- IS developing new weapons despite losses: arms monitor
- Nearly half of Russians want PM Medvedev to quit, says poll
- Bodies of two Indians lying in Saudi Arabia for weeks
- Russia says US missile strike on Syria was a threat to its forces
- Uzbek president sidelines member of ruling triumvirate
- French police arrests 10 over 2015 Paris supermarket attacks
- Bangladesh directors to boycott actor Shakib Khan
- RAB arrests BUET student, suspected JMB ‘bomb expert’
- BIDA signs MoU for $2 billion Chinese investment in construction sector
- SWAT starts raid on Chapainawabganj ‘militant den’; gunshots heard
- Law Minister Anisul Huq asks chief justice not to complain publicly
- Bangladeshis are largest foreign takers of Indian health services: Report
- Five-year-old Sumaiya found after 24 days
- Macron’s unusual love story carries on French tradition
- Former British PM David Cameron arrives in Dhaka
- Hillary Clinton’s aides threatened me with tax audit: Sajeeb Wazed Joy