Britain to launch Brexit process on March 29: EU sources
Published: 2017-03-20 17:50:55.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-20 17:50:55.0 BdST
Prime Minister Theresa May will write to the European Union on March 29 formally announcing Britain's withdrawal from the bloc, EU sources told Reuters on Monday, saying Brussels had been told of the plan by British officials.
That letter next Wednesday will start the clock ticking on a two-year countdown to Brexit and allow negotiations to start between London and Brussels in the coming weeks.
By the end of next week, after he has received May's letter, European Council President Donald Tusk should have distributed draft guidelines for the negotiations to the 27 other national governments. Tusk will also summon those 27 leaders for a summit to endorse the final guidelines, probably in early May.
Once those are in place, giving a negotiating mandate to the EU executive, the European Commission, chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier should be able to schedule talks with his British counterpart, Brexit Secretary David Davis.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Saudi Arabia arrests 46 suspects over 2016 Medina attack
- Iran satellite TV head shot dead in Istanbul: Dogan news
- Iran's leader dismisses Rouhani's detente policy ahead of vote
- US-backed militias claim big advance against IS in Syria's Tabqa
- Labour gains in British polls, but May's party keeps strong lead
- Pope calls for end to violence, respect for human rights, in Venezuela
- US Marines back in Helmand as Afghanistan 'stalemate' continues
- Five killed in Texas tornadoes; rains, winds lash US midsection: media
- Trump invites Philippines' Duterte to Washington, WH says
- South Korea says US reaffirms it will pay THAAD costs; joint drills wrap up
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Why Bangladesh was not warned of Haor flooding by India, asks BELA
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister