FIFA says court rules in its favor over Qatar working conditions
Published: 2017-01-11 19:33:22.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-11 19:33:22.0 BdST
A court has rejected a lawsuit against FIFA brought by labour unions which said it had failed to use its influence to ensure fair treatment for people working on 2022 World Cup facilities in Qatar, the world soccer body said on Friday.
FIFA said in a statement it welcomed the decision by the Commercial Court of Zurich in the case which concerned its "alleged wrongful conduct and liability for human rights violations."
The court could not immediately be reached for comment and FIFA did not give further details on the case itself.
The suit was filed by Bangladesh Free Trade Union Congress, backed by the Dutch union FNV, on behalf of a Bangladeshi man who says he was exploited in Qatar.
It called on FIFA to force Qatar to adopt "minimum labour standards" for migrant workers preparing for the tournament, including at least the right to quit a job or leave the country.
The Gulf state has faced criticism of its treatment of foreign workers from Amnesty International, the Building and Wood Workers' International organization and others.
Doha has previously denied exploiting workers and says it is implementing labour reforms.
Under Qatar's "kafala" system, foreign workers must get their employer's consent to change jobs or leave the country.
The Qatar government passed a new law last month and said the reforms would make it easier for migrant workers to change jobs and leave the country, but human rights organizations said the changes would not end abuse or exploitation.
FIFA said it took labour conditions in Qatar "very seriously."
"FIFA monitors the situation very closely and ... will continue to urge the Qatari authorities to ensure safe and decent working conditions for construction workers," it said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Nearly 150 migrants feared dead after boat sinks, sole survivor says
- 'No turning back': PM May triggers 'historic' Brexit
- Running a marathon may cause kidney injury, finds a study
- Human waste found in Coca-Cola cans, probe launched
- British PM Theresa May fires starting gun on Brexit
- Jordan's King Abdullah says two-state solution basis of Middle East peace
- Iraqi forces battle toward landmark Mosul mosque
- Malaysia inspects N Korean coal ship for possible UN sanctions breach
- Trump's funding request for US border wall hits snag among some Republicans
- Trudeau to introduce law to legalise marijuana in Canada: Media
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Bombs turned Atia Mahal into a death trap, says army after Operation Twilight
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh
- No cause for satisfaction over 'successes in a few anti-terror raids', says BNP chief Khaleda