Iraqi troops kill 125 IS terrorists
Published: 2017-01-10 21:34:26.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-10 21:34:26.0 BdST
Iraqi troops killed 125 Islamic State (IS) terrorists and took control of two new neighbourhoods in Mosul on Tuesday, military officials said.
Anti-terror forces stormed al-Sukar neighbourhood on the eastern front of Mosul killing more than 25 militants, a senior commander said.
The forces also destroyed a mortar launcher and an IS car bomb in an operation supported by the international coalition, Efe news reported.
The commander explained that the forces of the federal police and army's IX brigade completely dominated the districts of Palestine and Doumiz on the southeast axis and have advanced to liberate the Sumar neighbourhood.
The commander noted that Iraqi and the US-led international coalition warplanes destroyed several machines of the radical organisation on Tuesday morning.
Iraqi troops, backed by Kurdish Peshmergas and Shia militias, as well as aviation and military advisers from the international anti-terrorist coalition, are seeking to remove IS from areas it occupied in June 2014 in northern Iraq in the offensive launched last October.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Canada House of Commons passes anti-Islamophobia Motion M-103
- Russian police detain opposition leader, dozens of protesters
- Iran sanctions 15 US firms, citing human rights and Israel ties
- Iran denies harassing US warships in Gulf, warns of clashes
- US strike kills an al Qaeda 'leader' in Afghanistan: Pentagon
- Iraqi military says 61 bodies found in collapsed Mosul building
- Communal strife in home state of India's Modi kills one, 14 hurt
- Multiple people shot in Ohio night club: police
- UK police still believe London attacker was acting alone
- Hong Kong chooses new Beijing-backed leader amid political tension
- Bangladesh to celebrate 46th Independence Day Sunday
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- Donald Trump greets Abdul Hamid, Sheikh Hasina on Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- Army commandos end assault on militant hideout in Sylhet
- Gunfire, blasts heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters third day
- Police put on alert across country
- At least one killed, 20 injured in blast near militant den being raided by army commandos
- RAB intelligence chief injured in Sylhet blasts airlifted to Dhaka
- RAB Intelligence chief being taken to Singapore for treatment