'Mike Pence' name used for donations to US family planning organisation
News Desk, bdnews24.com
Published: 2016-11-15 13:54:48.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-15 13:54:48.0 BdST
Donations to US family planning organisation Planned Parenthood in the name of Vice President-elect Mike Pence have surged, reports the BBC.
It says Donald Trump's running mate, a long-time opponent of Planned Parenthood, will be sent a gift certificate for every donation someone makes.
The campaign began in 2011 when as an Indiana congressman he introduced several anti-abortion measures.
They included the first bill to strip the provider of all federal funding, the BBC report said.
As the Indiana governor, Pence signed an anti-abortion bill in March this year that is seen as one of the most restrictive in the US, barring abortion in Indiana on the basis of disability, gender or race of the foetus.
Parts of that law were blocked by the courts, but not until after a social media backlash which saw women phoning or tweeting Pence details about their menstrual cycles under the hash tag #periodsforpence.
There had already been a significant rise in donations to the country's biggest abortion provider in the wake of Trump's election last week, the BBC reported.
But then over the weekend, many women went on social media to say they had made a donation in Mike Pence's name, it said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Hong Kong protest leaders told they face charges day after new leader chosen
- France's Le Pen says the EU 'will die', globalists to be defeated
- Canada House of Commons passes anti-Islamophobia Motion M-103
- Russian police detain opposition leader, dozens of protesters
- Iran sanctions 15 US firms, citing human rights and Israel ties
- Iran denies harassing US warships in Gulf, warns of clashes
- US strike kills an al Qaeda 'leader' in Afghanistan: Pentagon
- Iraqi military says 61 bodies found in collapsed Mosul building
- Communal strife in home state of India's Modi kills one, 14 hurt
- Multiple people shot in Ohio night club: police
- Two killed, more ‘well-trained’ militants inside, says army in Sylhet anti-terror operation
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- Police put on alert across country
- Burst of gunfire heard as Sylhet militant hideout siege enters fourth day
- Army releases videos of assault on Sylhet militant hideout
- Commandos rescue trapped residents from Sylhet 'militant den'
- Police believe man killed in blast near airport is 'missing' Mirpur youth Ayad
- It seems the army has settled for a long haul in Sylhet to neutralise the militants
- 'Neo-JMB operative’ Mizan confesses to supplying arms for Gulshan attack
- Indian borderguards step up vigil on Sylhet's border with Northeast India