Personal data for more than 130,000 sailors hacked: US Navy
Published: 2016-11-24 09:48:49.0 BdST Updated: 2016-11-24 09:48:49.0 BdST
Hackers gained access to sensitive information, including Social Security numbers, for 134,386 current and former US sailors, the US Navy said on Wednesday.
It said a laptop used by a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Services employee working on a US Navy contract was hacked. Hewlett Packard informed the Navy of the breach on Oct. 27 and the affected sailors will be notified in the coming weeks, the Navy said.
"The Navy takes this incident extremely seriously - this is a matter of trust for our sailors," Chief of Naval Personnel Vice Admiral Robert Burke said in a statement.
Burke said the investigation of the breach was in its early stages.
"At this stage of the investigation, there is no evidence to suggest misuse of the information that was compromised," the Navy said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- US trade commission to probe Nokia complaint against Apple
- Samsung Elec says battery caused Note 7 fires, may delay new phone launch
- Impact of job-stealing robots a growing concern at Davos
- Uber to invest more than $60 million in Sao Paulo support center
- South Korean court dismisses arrest warrant for Samsung chief
- Facebook's virtual-reality tech was not stolen, Zuckerberg testifies
- Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year
- China's Baidu opens augmented reality lab to boost falling profits
- Samsung Electronics probe finds battery was main cause of Note 7 fires: Source
- Startup investors fret over risks of mass data collection
- Two Bangladeshis arrested in Malaysia for suspected link to Islamic State cell
- Tourists from Japan say Bangladesh is safe
- Trump signs order withdrawing US from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- Use of jute bags mandatory for 11 more products
- Bangladesh man arrested at 27th wife's home on 25th wife's complaint
- No risk in using bamboo, wood as extra support in rail bridges: Ministry
- Bail denied to cricketer Arafat Sunny in ICT case
- PM Hasina flays rights bodies over silence in MP Liton's murder
- Bangladesh sees no impact of Trump's bringing back Mexico City policy