Apple launches iPhone trade-in programme
Published: 2013-08-31 08:27:42.0 BdST Updated: 2013-08-31 08:37:51.0 BdST
Apple Inc has launched a trade-in program in its US retail stores for older models of its iPhone as it gears up for the launch of a new version of the smartphone, it said on Friday.
Apple will give customers a credit for their old phones to be used toward the purchase of a new model, an Apple spokeswoman said.
A thriving industry exists for older versions of smartphones, especially the iPhone, on websites such as eBay and Gazelle. Even broken iPhones can fetch as much as $125 from vendors, who resell them in the United States and internationally.
Gazelle Chief Executive Israel Ganot estimated the used smartphone and tablet market in the United States will reach $14 billion by 2015.
"So there's obviously a huge opportunity here for multiple players," he said.
Apple shares dipped nearly 1 percent to $487.46.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Airbus CEO sees 'flying car' prototype ready by end of year
- China's Baidu opens augmented reality lab to boost falling profits
- Samsung Electronics probe finds battery was main cause of Note 7 fires: Source
- Startup investors fret over risks of mass data collection
- Nintendo disappoints with $299 price for new Switch console
- US appeals court revives antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Samsung leader Lee arrives for questioning by prosecutors
- Apple patents screen with holes for a bezel-less device
- Regulators criticise banks over Uber loan: sources
- Facebook plans advertisements in the middle of videos
- Narayanganj seven-murder: Nur Hossain, former Lt Col Tarek Sayeed, 24 others get death sentences
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Bangladesh skipper Mushfiqur blames bowlers after losing Wellington Test
- Narayanganj seven-murder sentences at a glance: 26 get death penalty
- Istanbul New Year's nightclub attacker caught: Media reports
- Actor Kalyan Corraya gets bail in hit-and-run case
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Istanbul nightclub attack involved an intelligence organisation: deputy PM
- RAB's image brightened by cooperation in 7-murder probe: Home minister