Ban on YouTube lifted
Published: 2013-06-05 10:54:59.0 BdST Updated: 2013-06-06 06:53:49.0 BdST
An eight-month old ban on popular video sharing website YouTube in the country has been lifted, BTRC Chairman Sunil Kanti Bose told bdnews24.com on Wednesday.
On Sep 17 last year, the government blocked YouTube indefinitely to stop people from watching a controversial US-made film demeaning Prophet Muhammad.
But people are now able to visit the site.
The video clip sparked off violence across the Muslim world and tensions began to rise in Bangladesh as well.
The BRTC official also said the International Internet Gateways (IIG) were being informed about the decision verbally and through e-mails.
Asked whether the film had been taken down from the site, Bose said, “We are still discussing the matter with the Google Inc.”
He, however, reminded that anyone visiting the site from Bangladesh for watching the film will get a warning message.
An IIG company Fibre@Home Chief Strategic officer Sumon Ahmed Sabir told bdnews24.com they unblocked the site after receiving directives from the BTRC in the afternoon,
Muslims across the world burst into protest after the film was released on the internet and violence killed several people later.
He said BTRC also informed them of the decision through a phone call and will later send an official letter. The website can be accessed from this evening onwards.
Earlier Bangladesh had said it would lift the ban on the YouTube if access to the anti-Islamic film was blocked. But BRTC complained of not receiving a positive response from Google Inc.
Youtube has been banned twice in Bangladesh.
Earlier, it was blocked in March 2009, after a recording of a meeting between the Prime Minister and army officers was posted revealing anger by the military on the government's handling of the BDR mutiny in Dhaka. The ban was lifted soon after in the same month.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Samsung in talks with LG Chem for new smartphone batteries: Nikkei
- Samsung faces potential class action in US over Note 7
- Dot bangla internet domain registration to start from Dec 16, Tarana Halim says
- Apple’s iPhone 7 has 'hidden home button' on screen
- Samsung will compensate Galaxy Note 7 parts suppliers
- China to launch manned space mission Shenzhou 11 on Monday
- Singapore Airlines, Air Berlin, Lufthansa bans Note 7 on flights
- No buyer for Twitter as Salesforce quits race
- US bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones from air travel
- Samsung offers financial incentives to stem Note 7 bleeding
- Tamim, Mushfiqur shine as Bangladesh look to Shakib for first innings lead
- Only PM and I know if there will be any surprise: Syed Ashraf
- BNP will attend Awami League National Council
- Dhaka made ‘fortress’ ahead of Awami League's National Council
- Police suspect ‘gang of exam frauds’ killed RU student Lipu
- Prognosis is good but Khadiza still cannot recognise people
- DMP issues two-day commuting restrictions in Dhaka for AL National Council
- Abdur Rahman, who died during Ashulia raid, is 'Neo-JMB chief Hanif', RAB says
- 50 percent construction over for country’s first satellite Bangabandhu-1: Tarana
- Awami League National Council starts in Dhaka