Pique blasts supporters for booing Gomes
Published: 2017-03-20 18:07:27.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-20 18:07:27.0 BdST
Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has urged supporters to stop booing midfielder Andre Gomes, who scored his first goal for the Catalans in Sunday's 4-2 win over Valencia after 36 appearances.
The Portuguese player bore the brunt of the criticism for the team's 4-0 thrashing by Paris St Germain in the Champions League last-16 first leg and was loudly booed in the team's next game against Leganes when he was substituted off.
He was dropped from the starting line-up for the second leg against PSG but came on as a substitute in the historic 6-1 turnaround which saw Barca reach the quarter-finals.
Gomes was greeted with more whistles when he came on in the 74th minute against Valencia on Sunday but 15 minutes later sealed victory by turning Neymar's cross in from close range, although he chose not to celebrate the strike against his former club.
"I'm in total disagreement with the people who boo players, they'd be better off staying at home," Pique told reporters after the game on Sunday.
"It's intolerable and I think treating any player like that before they come on the pitch doesn't help anyone. People need to take a good look at themselves.
"It's one thing if someone plays badly and then the people whistle to show their discontent but quite another to whistle before they come on because it kills their confidence."
Gomes was a surprise summer signing from Valencia for 35 million euros ($37.6 million) plus add-ons and has struggled to adapt to the Spanish champions, often looking out of place in the team's midfield and out of sync with the rest of the team.
Luis Enrique has persisted with Gomes despite the continued criticism and at one spell in the season preferred the him to Ivan Rakitic, although the Croatian has since won his place in the team back at Gomes' expense.
"I'm so pleased he scored, it was the happiest moment of the game," said the coach.
"I already know how good he is, he's huge, he's strong and has great talent. He's going to be a very important player to Barcelona's future."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Spurs beat local rivals Arsenal to keep up title challenge
- Gabriel Jesus header gives City 2-2 draw at Middlesbrough
- Chelsea take step towards title with win at Everton
- United held at home by Swansea after Sigurdsson strike
- Bayern take fifth straight Bundesliga crown with win at Wolfsburg
- Joshua wins world titles with 11th-round stoppage of Klitschko
- Suarez and Rakitic see Barca through Espanyol test to stay top
- Vardy on target as Leicester beat West Brom 1-0
- Murray sent packing by Thiem in Barcelona semi-final
- Late Marcelo strike keeps Real title bid on track; Granada relegated
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Why Bangladesh was not warned of Haor flooding by India, asks BELA
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister