Man United punish struggling Boro despite Mourinho's pessimism
Published: 2017-03-19 20:10:51.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-19 20:10:51.0 BdST
Manchester United moved into fifth place in the Premier League on Sunday with a 3-1 victory away to struggling Middlesbrough, who sacked manager Aitor Karanka on Thursday.
Jose Mourinho had said his team would "probably lose" because their current fixture congestion would lead to fatigue, but despite missing Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Paul Pogba, Wayne Rooney and Ander Herrera, they counter-attacked well.
Belgium international Marouane Fellaini headed them in front after almost half an hour's play for his first league goal of the season and Jesse Lingard scored the second just after the hour mark from 20 metres.
Boro' substitute Rudy Gestede pulled a goal back with 12 minutes left, but in added time goalkeeper Victor Valdes slipped, allowing Antonio Valencia to score a third United goal.
Middlesbrough, by far the lowest scoring team in the league, have still not won a league game in 2017.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Spurs beat local rivals Arsenal to keep up title challenge
- Gabriel Jesus header gives City 2-2 draw at Middlesbrough
- Chelsea take step towards title with win at Everton
- United held at home by Swansea after Sigurdsson strike
- Bayern take fifth straight Bundesliga crown with win at Wolfsburg
- Joshua wins world titles with 11th-round stoppage of Klitschko
- Suarez and Rakitic see Barca through Espanyol test to stay top
- Vardy on target as Leicester beat West Brom 1-0
- Murray sent packing by Thiem in Barcelona semi-final
- Late Marcelo strike keeps Real title bid on track; Granada relegated
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Why Bangladesh was not warned of Haor flooding by India, asks BELA
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister