Miami to host "Clasico" friendly between Barcelona and Real
Published: 2017-03-11 23:19:45.0 BdST Updated: 2017-03-11 23:19:45.0 BdST
Spanish arch-rivals Real Madrid and Barcelona will meet in a pre-season friendly in Miami on July 29 in the first "Clasico" to take place outside Spain for 35 years.
The game is part of the International Champions Cup, an annual pre-season tournament which has been going since 2013, and will take place at 65,000-capacity Hard Rock stadium, home of NFL franchise the Miami Dolphins.
Barca and Real, first and second respectively in the La Liga standings, have amassed 56 domestic titles and 16 European Cups between them. They have only met on foreign soil once before, in Venezuela in 1982.
Real have been visiting the United States for their pre-season campaign since 2009, although did not go there in 2015, which is the last time Barca played in the US.
Barca have sought to increase their profile in America recently, opening an office in New York and setting up a youth academy in Charlotte, North Carolina last year, adding to an existing academy in Miami.
"I think today we are writing a crucial chapter in football history in the United States as this match will be a big opportunity to promote the game in this country," Barca marketing director Manel Arroyo said in a statement.
"This is something we are hoping to achieve at FC Barcelona and the recent opening of our New York office is testament to this. The match on the 29th is not only a friendly, it is much more than that: it is a game which is always passionate and one which all fans will be able to enjoy, especially here in Miami."
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Brazil replace Gabriel Jesus with Firmino for Uruguay clash
- Aguero and Rojo return for Argentina against Chile
- Germany's Podolski crowns farewell with stunning winner over England
- 2028 Olympic Games not an option for Paris, says bid chief
- Shakib overtakes Ashwin for top Test allrounders spot after Bangladesh’s Colombo triumph
- Suarez suspension an advantage for Brazil: Casemiro
- Juventus beat Sampdoria as Scudetto draws closer
- Pique blasts supporters for booing Gomes
- Federer tops Wawrinka in all-Swiss Indian Wells final
- Mourinho would prefer Europa League glory to top-four finish
- Bangladesh Bank building catches fire
- Five dead, around 40 injured in UK parliament 'terrorist' attack
- Bangladesh formally joins 'India's South Asia Satellite' initiative
- Hardline Muslim group demand removal of Bangabandhu statue in Kolkata
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee rules out removing Bangabandhu's bust
- Police name London attacker as British-born Khalid Masood
- Moosa’s son accuses government of ‘taking dignity away from people’
- Bangladesh take Miraz in squad for Sri Lanka ODIs
- UK envoy attack: Death row convict Ripon to seek presidential clemency
- Investigators' statement on war crimes charges against Moosa unclear: Imran