Messi screamer salvages draw for Barca at Villarreal
Published: 2017-01-09 10:40:44.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-09 10:53:51.0 BdST
Barcelona's Lionel Messi rescued a 1-1 draw at Villarreal with a sensational late free-kick on Sunday but could not prevent the champions finishing the weekend third in La Liga, five points behind leaders Real Madrid.
Messi bent a stunning free-kick into the top corner in the 90th minute after Villarreal's Italian forward Nicola Sansone finished off a breakaway to open the scoring in the 50th as they looked set to record a first home win over Barca in 11 years.
Barcelona have 35 points from 17 games, one behind Sevilla, and trail a Real Madrid side who beat Granada 5-0 on Saturday, are unbeaten in all competitions and have a game in hand.
"I can't make a positive evaluation because we needed the three points today," said Barca coach Luis Enrique. "We aren't on a very favourable run at the moment and although we kept hitting the target things just would not fall for us."
The pressure was on Luis Enrique's side after Real and Sevilla enjoyed big wins on Saturday but Villarreal were far from ideal opponents, having held Barca to a 2-2 draw last season and halting their 12-game winning streak in the league.
The first clear chance of a vibrant, end-to-end game fell to former Barcelona midfielder Jonathan dos Santos, who put too much power on his shot and watched it fly over the bar.
Luis Enrique made three changes to the Barca team that lost 2-1 in a King's Cup last 16, first leg game at Athletic Bilbao on Thursday and it was one of the players he recalled who made the fatal mistake that led to the opening goal.
Messi hit the post with a sumptuous shot and had a penalty appeal turned down when his effort was blocked by Villarreal captain Bruno Soriano's hand, while Barca's Javier Mascherano was also fortunate not to concede a spot kick for handball.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Real battle back to win at Villarreal and stay top of La Liga
- Tottenham overwhelm Stoke with another Kane hat-trick
- United's Ibrahimovic strikes twice to win League Cup
- Messi strikes late again to sink Atletico
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- Nokia goes back to the future with 49 euro 3310 mobile phone
- Bangladesh Parliament passes law allowing child marriage in ‘special circumstances’
- Bangladesh government accused of patronising killings of secular bloggers
- SP’s transfer as punishment a great intellectual fraud: Ex-NHRC chief
- Bangladesh officially recognises Kosovo as an independent country
- Fire breaks out at footwear factory in Dhaka
- Bangladesh High Court orders 28 drugmakers to stop producing antibiotics, steroids and cancer drugs
- Fire at garment factory in Narayanganj
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Singer-composer Lucky Akhand in critical condition: Family