Griezmann ends goal drought as Atletico beat Eibar
Published: 2017-01-08 12:13:27.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 12:13:27.0 BdST
Antoine Griezmann scored his first league goal in more than three months as Atletico Madrid won 2-0 at Eibar to go fourth in the standings.
The France international ended his La Liga goal drought by gliding forward to the edge of the area and playing a pass with compatriot Kevin Gameiro before blasting into the net in the 74th minute.
Saul Niguez had broken the deadlock on a freezing cold pitch in the 54th minute by glancing in a Filipe Luis cross following a short corner routine.
Atletico withstood plenty of pressure from the home side after netting the first goal and sealed the points with Griezmann's first league strike since he scored against Valencia on Oct. 2.
"It was a difficult game in a difficult ground, we gave everything. We struggled to get into the game at first but we were much better in the second half," Griezmann said.
"We showed what people expect of Atleti, we were strong at the back and defended with 11 men and took advantage of the few chances we created."
Atletico go fourth on 31 points while Sevilla overtook Barcelona for place behind Real Madrid by sweeping past Real Sociedad, on 29, with a 4-0 win.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sharapova feels vindicated and empowered after doping ban
- Ronaldo scores homecoming goal but Sweden wreck the party
- Deulofeu and video technology help Spain tame France
- Barcelona condemn 'unfair and disproportionate' Messi ban
- Brazil become first team to qualify for World Cup
- Bolivia beat Messi-less Argentina 2-0 in qualifier
- Neymar keeps Brazil ticking towards World Cup
- Messi banned for four international matches
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Argentina drop Aguero, bring in Pratto for banned Higuain against Bolivia
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh