Griezmann ends goal drought as Atletico beat Eibar
Published: 2017-01-08 12:13:27.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 12:13:27.0 BdST
Antoine Griezmann scored his first league goal in more than three months as Atletico Madrid won 2-0 at Eibar to go fourth in the standings.
The France international ended his La Liga goal drought by gliding forward to the edge of the area and playing a pass with compatriot Kevin Gameiro before blasting into the net in the 74th minute.
Saul Niguez had broken the deadlock on a freezing cold pitch in the 54th minute by glancing in a Filipe Luis cross following a short corner routine.
Atletico withstood plenty of pressure from the home side after netting the first goal and sealed the points with Griezmann's first league strike since he scored against Valencia on Oct. 2.
"It was a difficult game in a difficult ground, we gave everything. We struggled to get into the game at first but we were much better in the second half," Griezmann said.
"We showed what people expect of Atleti, we were strong at the back and defended with 11 men and took advantage of the few chances we created."
Atletico go fourth on 31 points while Sevilla overtook Barcelona for place behind Real Madrid by sweeping past Real Sociedad, on 29, with a 4-0 win.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Messi and Suarez help Barca to down Eibar, Sevilla stage fightback
- Juve back to winning ways as Allegri throws caution to the wind
- Champion Kerber overpowered by Vandeweghe in Melbourne
- Ten-man Arsenal win thriller with last-gasp penalty
- Champions Leicester slip to new low at Southampton
- Federer shows iron-man quality to reach quarters
- Tears flow as Chapecoense return to action
- Frequent Iniesta injuries a problem for Barca coach Luis Enrique
- Napoli put another dent in Milan's Champions League hopes
- Top seed Andy Murray knocked out in Australian Open fourth round
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Ispahani Group boss Mirza Ali Behrouze Ispahani passes away
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Authorities shut Mymensingh Medical College indefinitely
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice