Giroud strikes late winner as Arsenal sneak by Preston
Published: 2017-01-08 02:39:58.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 02:40:33.0 BdST
Olivier Giroud's scoring streak has continued as he has struck late to give Arsenal a 2-1 victory at Championship side Preston North End in the FA Cup third round.
Giroud's deflected finish in the 89th minute on Saturday was rough on Preston who had dominated the opening period after Callum Robinson had given them an early lead.
Arsenal were a different proposition after the break and equalised a minute after the restart when Ramsey fired home from the edge of the area after Alex Iwobi's lay-off.
The hosts looked capable of holding out for a replay but Giroud struck for the fourth match in a row when he capitalised on a clever back heel by Lucas Perez.
Preston were left to rue missed chances before the break, the best of which saw Jordan Hugill somehow fail to connect with a Robinson cross with the goal gaping.
Robinson also had a goal ruled out for an infringement.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- My dream has died, says sacked Ranieri
- Leicester panicked over Ranieri, says emotional Lineker
- Barca looking to rediscover top form at Atletico
- Barcelona and MHG join forces to build academy in China
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Actress Kabori's memoirs launched at Ekushey Book Fair
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well