Giroud strikes late winner as Arsenal sneak by Preston
Published: 2017-01-08 02:39:58.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-08 02:40:33.0 BdST
Olivier Giroud's scoring streak has continued as he has struck late to give Arsenal a 2-1 victory at Championship side Preston North End in the FA Cup third round.
Giroud's deflected finish in the 89th minute on Saturday was rough on Preston who had dominated the opening period after Callum Robinson had given them an early lead.
Arsenal were a different proposition after the break and equalised a minute after the restart when Ramsey fired home from the edge of the area after Alex Iwobi's lay-off.
The hosts looked capable of holding out for a replay but Giroud struck for the fourth match in a row when he capitalised on a clever back heel by Lucas Perez.
Preston were left to rue missed chances before the break, the best of which saw Jordan Hugill somehow fail to connect with a Robinson cross with the goal gaping.
Robinson also had a goal ruled out for an infringement.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sharapova feels vindicated and empowered after doping ban
- Ronaldo scores homecoming goal but Sweden wreck the party
- Deulofeu and video technology help Spain tame France
- Barcelona condemn 'unfair and disproportionate' Messi ban
- Brazil become first team to qualify for World Cup
- Bolivia beat Messi-less Argentina 2-0 in qualifier
- Neymar keeps Brazil ticking towards World Cup
- Messi banned for four international matches
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Argentina drop Aguero, bring in Pratto for banned Higuain against Bolivia
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh