Real Madrid hammer Granada to equal record
Published: 2017-01-07 20:29:57.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-07 20:31:44.0 BdST
Real Madrid equalled a Spanish record of 39 games unbeaten in all competitions by crushing struggling Granada 5-0 on Saturday to go six points clear at the top of La Liga.
Spain midfielder Isco set Real on their way to a simple victory by latching on to a pass from Karim Benzema and squeezing the ball under Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa in the 12th minute.
Benzema tapped in the second in the 20th minute after Ochoa failed to hold a shot from the lively Luka Modric and top scorer Cristiano Ronaldo struck his 11th league goal of the season by nodding in a cross from Marcelo.
Isco turned in a low cross from Modric to stretch Real's lead in the 31st minute and defensive midfielder Casemiro scored his first goal of the season by stabbing in a free kick from James Rodriguez in the 58th.
Real top the standings on 40 points from 16 games, although Barcelona, who have also played 16, can close the gap when they visit Villarreal on Sunday.
Third-placed Sevilla, seven points behind Real, visit Sevilla later on Saturday and Atletico Madrid travel to Eibar
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sharapova feels vindicated and empowered after doping ban
- Ronaldo scores homecoming goal but Sweden wreck the party
- Deulofeu and video technology help Spain tame France
- Barcelona condemn 'unfair and disproportionate' Messi ban
- Brazil become first team to qualify for World Cup
- Bolivia beat Messi-less Argentina 2-0 in qualifier
- Neymar keeps Brazil ticking towards World Cup
- Messi banned for four international matches
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Argentina drop Aguero, bring in Pratto for banned Higuain against Bolivia
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh