Leicester's Mahrez named African Footballer of the Year
Published: 2017-01-06 17:39:00.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 17:39:00.0 BdST
Riyad Mahrez, who inspired Leicester City to an extraordinary Premier League title triumph last season, was named African Footballer of the Year on Thursday.
Algeria's Mahrez, the creative linchpin of Leicester's stunning success, was chosen ahead of 2015 winner Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool's Sadio Mane in a poll of African national team coaches, technical directors and media experts.
The Leicester player received 361 votes, ahead of Aubameyang's 313 and Mane's 186 with the result announced at the annual Confederation of African Football (CAF) awards in the Nigerian capital.
“Algerian wizard Mahrez had an eventful year to remember. He was one of the key actors as Leicester City produced the shock of the year, scoring 17 goals in the process," African football's governing body said in their citation.
It is the seventh time in nine years that the winner has come from an English Premier League club.
"I want to thank all my team mates at Leicester and Algeria and my coaches. This is a huge honour for me," Mahrez said on receiving the award.
Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho was named Africa’s Most Promising Talent and Arsenal's Alex Iwobi Youth Player of the Year at the CAF awards.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- My dream has died, says sacked Ranieri
- Leicester panicked over Ranieri, says emotional Lineker
- Barca looking to rediscover top form at Atletico
- Barcelona and MHG join forces to build academy in China
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Actress Kabori's memoirs launched at Ekushey Book Fair
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well