Barcelona lose first leg of cup tie in fiery Bilbao affair
Published: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST
King's Cup holders Barcelona have a fight on their hands if they are to remain in the competition after losing a fiery first leg of their last-16 tie at Athletic Club 2-1 on Thursday despite playing the final 10 minutes with a two-man advantage.
Spain striker Aritz Aduriz headed Bilbao in front in the 25th minute and the veteran produced an audacious flick to tee up youngster Inaki Williams to volley in the second three minutes later.
Talisman Lionel Messi pulled a full-strength Barca side back into the game with a free-kick in the 52nd minute which came off the underside of the bar and over the line.
Brazilian forward Neymar had a strong penalty appeal turned down in the first half and was the victim of more aggression after the break, leading to Raul Garcia and then Ander Iturraspe being shown second yellow cards late in the game.
Roared on by the famously passionate San Mames faithful, Athletic produced a resilient display to hold on for the win despite a barrage of late attempts by Barca, which included Messi hitting the post with the last kick of the match.
The second leg takes place next Wednesday at the Nou Camp.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- My dream has died, says sacked Ranieri
- Leicester panicked over Ranieri, says emotional Lineker
- Barca looking to rediscover top form at Atletico
- Barcelona and MHG join forces to build academy in China
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Actress Kabori's memoirs launched at Ekushey Book Fair
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well