Barcelona lose first leg of cup tie in fiery Bilbao affair
Published: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST
King's Cup holders Barcelona have a fight on their hands if they are to remain in the competition after losing a fiery first leg of their last-16 tie at Athletic Club 2-1 on Thursday despite playing the final 10 minutes with a two-man advantage.
Spain striker Aritz Aduriz headed Bilbao in front in the 25th minute and the veteran produced an audacious flick to tee up youngster Inaki Williams to volley in the second three minutes later.
Talisman Lionel Messi pulled a full-strength Barca side back into the game with a free-kick in the 52nd minute which came off the underside of the bar and over the line.
Brazilian forward Neymar had a strong penalty appeal turned down in the first half and was the victim of more aggression after the break, leading to Raul Garcia and then Ander Iturraspe being shown second yellow cards late in the game.
Roared on by the famously passionate San Mames faithful, Athletic produced a resilient display to hold on for the win despite a barrage of late attempts by Barca, which included Messi hitting the post with the last kick of the match.
The second leg takes place next Wednesday at the Nou Camp.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sharapova feels vindicated and empowered after doping ban
- Ronaldo scores homecoming goal but Sweden wreck the party
- Deulofeu and video technology help Spain tame France
- Barcelona condemn 'unfair and disproportionate' Messi ban
- Brazil become first team to qualify for World Cup
- Bolivia beat Messi-less Argentina 2-0 in qualifier
- Neymar keeps Brazil ticking towards World Cup
- Messi banned for four international matches
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Argentina drop Aguero, bring in Pratto for banned Higuain against Bolivia
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh