Barcelona lose first leg of cup tie in fiery Bilbao affair
Published: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-06 05:17:26.0 BdST
King's Cup holders Barcelona have a fight on their hands if they are to remain in the competition after losing a fiery first leg of their last-16 tie at Athletic Club 2-1 on Thursday despite playing the final 10 minutes with a two-man advantage.
Spain striker Aritz Aduriz headed Bilbao in front in the 25th minute and the veteran produced an audacious flick to tee up youngster Inaki Williams to volley in the second three minutes later.
Talisman Lionel Messi pulled a full-strength Barca side back into the game with a free-kick in the 52nd minute which came off the underside of the bar and over the line.
Brazilian forward Neymar had a strong penalty appeal turned down in the first half and was the victim of more aggression after the break, leading to Raul Garcia and then Ander Iturraspe being shown second yellow cards late in the game.
Roared on by the famously passionate San Mames faithful, Athletic produced a resilient display to hold on for the win despite a barrage of late attempts by Barca, which included Messi hitting the post with the last kick of the match.
The second leg takes place next Wednesday at the Nou Camp.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Messi and Suarez help Barca to down Eibar, Sevilla stage fightback
- Juve back to winning ways as Allegri throws caution to the wind
- Champion Kerber overpowered by Vandeweghe in Melbourne
- Ten-man Arsenal win thriller with last-gasp penalty
- Champions Leicester slip to new low at Southampton
- Federer shows iron-man quality to reach quarters
- Tears flow as Chapecoense return to action
- Frequent Iniesta injuries a problem for Barca coach Luis Enrique
- Napoli put another dent in Milan's Champions League hopes
- Top seed Andy Murray knocked out in Australian Open fourth round
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- Ispahani Group boss Mirza Ali Behrouze Ispahani passes away
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Authorities shut Mymensingh Medical College indefinitely
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- 'Wife' claims Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny demanded dowry, assault
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice