Heartbreak for Bangladesh as women lose to India in SAFF football final
Sports Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-04 22:27:13.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-04 22:29:55.0 BdST
Bangladesh’s superb run in the SAFF women’s football championship has come to an end with a 3-1 defeat against India in the final.
India broke the deadlock early in the game but Bangladesh restored parity before the break to end the first half level on 1-1 at Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri on Wednesday evening.
India punished Bangladesh’s mistakes, however, and sealed their fourth successive title.
Sabina Khatun and her team had held the hosts to a goalless draw in their Group B tie to finish pool stage as group champions ahead of India.
Bangladesh, who adopted a defensive strategy against India in their previous encounter, was let down by their defence when Dangmei Grace put India ahead in the 11th minute.
The equaliser came six minutes before the break through a counterattack.
Sabina picked out Sirat Jahan Shopna on the right and the hat-trick star from the semifinal against the Maldives hit the target from a tough angle.
India piled pressure in the Bangladesh box after the break and Nargis Khatun conceded a penalty in the 62nd minute. Sasmita Malik converted the spotkick to put her team ahead once again.
An amateurish blunder from Bangladesh goalkeeper Sabina Akter, who did not let anything go past her in the matches prior to the final, allowed India to score again four minutes later.
Bangladesh women took the fight to their opponents in the last 20 minutes but could not find the back of the net.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Chelsea surge 11 points clear, Leicester into bottom three
- Leicester’s Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking
- Zidane warns Real to be wary of "game of the year" for opponents
- Simeone not convinced by Barcelona's slump in form
- Chelsea stretch lead with victory over Swansea
- Simeone seeks first Liga win over Barca in his 300th game
- My dream has died, says sacked Ranieri
- Leicester panicked over Ranieri, says emotional Lineker
- Barca looking to rediscover top form at Atletico
- Barcelona and MHG join forces to build academy in China
- Former MP Kader Khan 'confesses to planning and training’ to execute MP Liton’s murder
- Brain damage in former football players fuels ‘heading’ fears
- Bangladesh performs 25th bone marrow transplant in the first-ever centre
- 360 degree video: Cobra charming in India
- Bangladesh’s duty-free quota-free access to US market extremely unlikely: Ambassador
- Bangladesh opens first solar-powered silo with climate-controlled facility
- Third World Bank car with Bangladesh customs amid duty dodging probe
- India arrests its citizen with Bangladesh passport; police suspect militant link
- Actress Kabori's memoirs launched at Ekushey Book Fair
- Bangladesh court sentences four people to 10 years in jail over child's death after falling into abandoned deep tube-well