Heartbreak for Bangladesh as women lose to India in SAFF football final
Sports Correspondent bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-01-04 22:27:13.0 BdST Updated: 2017-01-04 22:29:55.0 BdST
Bangladesh’s superb run in the SAFF women’s football championship has come to an end with a 3-1 defeat against India in the final.
India broke the deadlock early in the game but Bangladesh restored parity before the break to end the first half level on 1-1 at Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri on Wednesday evening.
India punished Bangladesh’s mistakes, however, and sealed their fourth successive title.
Sabina Khatun and her team had held the hosts to a goalless draw in their Group B tie to finish pool stage as group champions ahead of India.
Bangladesh, who adopted a defensive strategy against India in their previous encounter, was let down by their defence when Dangmei Grace put India ahead in the 11th minute.
The equaliser came six minutes before the break through a counterattack.
Sabina picked out Sirat Jahan Shopna on the right and the hat-trick star from the semifinal against the Maldives hit the target from a tough angle.
India piled pressure in the Bangladesh box after the break and Nargis Khatun conceded a penalty in the 62nd minute. Sasmita Malik converted the spotkick to put her team ahead once again.
An amateurish blunder from Bangladesh goalkeeper Sabina Akter, who did not let anything go past her in the matches prior to the final, allowed India to score again four minutes later.
Bangladesh women took the fight to their opponents in the last 20 minutes but could not find the back of the net.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Sharapova feels vindicated and empowered after doping ban
- Ronaldo scores homecoming goal but Sweden wreck the party
- Deulofeu and video technology help Spain tame France
- Barcelona condemn 'unfair and disproportionate' Messi ban
- Brazil become first team to qualify for World Cup
- Bolivia beat Messi-less Argentina 2-0 in qualifier
- Neymar keeps Brazil ticking towards World Cup
- Messi banned for four international matches
- Rain sinks Sri Lanka hopes after Mendis century, Taskin hat-trick in Dambulla
- Argentina drop Aguero, bring in Pratto for banned Higuain against Bolivia
- Security forces launch operation on terror den in Moulvibazar
- Police move to raid 'militant hideout' in Comilla
- Security forces raiding two militant hideouts in Moulvibazar
- Section 144 clamped around two suspected Moulvibazar militant hideouts
- SWAT team heading for Moulvibazar terror dens, army if needed, says home minister
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Bangladesh Bank heist was 'state-sponsored': US official
- Police inspector in Bogra found hanging at home
- RAB intel chief, injured in Sylhet blasts, to be brought back from Singapore
- Pakistan not sending team to IPU Assembly in Bangladesh