India launches record 104 satellites at one go
Published: 2017-02-15 13:21:44.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-15 13:23:28.0 BdST
India successfully launched 104 satellites in a single mission on Wednesday, setting what its space agency says is a world record of launching the most satellites at one go.
Of the 104, 101 are foreign satellites to serve international customers as the South Asian nation seeks a bigger share of the $300 billion global space industry.
"This is a great moment for each and everyone of us. Today we have created history," said project director B Jayakumar.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted his congratulations on the launch conducted by the state-run Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) that went off smoothly and was carried live on national TV news channels.
"This remarkable feat by ISRO is yet another proud moment for our space scientific community and the nation," he said. "India salutes our scientists."
Congratulations to @isro for the successful launch of PSLV-C37 and CARTOSAT satellite together with 103 nano satellites!— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) February 15, 2017
ISRO's low prices attracted international customers to launch 75 satellites last year from Sriharikota in the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
The launch of PSLV-C37 in a single payload, including the Cartosat-2 series and 103 co-passenger satellites, together weighed over 650 kg.
Out of 101 nano satellites, 96 were from the United States and one each from Israel, Kazakhstan, the Netherlands, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Launch of SpaceX Falcon rocket aborted seconds before liftoff
- Scientists claim existence of lost Pacific Ocean continent
- India launches record 104 satellites at one go
- US government scientists defy President Trump
- SpaceX returns to flight, sending satellites into orbit
- SpaceX counts down to first launch after rocket explosion
- Scientists link higher dementia risk to living near heavy traffic
- Scientists discover a new human organ
- Virtual butler 'Jarvis' takes up residence in Facebook founder's home
- Remarkable feathered dinosaur tail found in chunk of amber
- Minister Quader was 'just angry', says MP Sanowar claiming reports of being assaulted not true
- New US travel ban to spare green card holders: Trump official
- Trump administration to expand groups of immigrants to be deported: Documents
- Director Farooki's "Doob: No Bed of Roses" stalled
- PM Hasina stops over at Abu Dhabi on way home from Munich
- Island chosen to relocate Rohingya refugees not fit for habitation, says Bangladesh forest department
- Bangladesh court to deliver verdict in Japanese national Kunio Hoshi murder on Feb 28
- Graphic novel 'Mujib' part-3 to be released Sunday
- PM’s meeting with Merkel: Global support to relocate Rohingya refugees sought
- Man dies in ‘gunfight’ with RAB in Rajshahi