Chinese manned space mission docks with space station: Xinhua
Published: 2016-10-19 12:07:38.0 BdST Updated: 2016-10-19 12:07:38.0 BdST
China's Shenzhou 11 manned spacecraft has successfully docked with China's Tiangong 2 space lab, and two astronauts have entered the lab, China's official news agency Xinhua said Wednesday.
China is the third country after the United States and Russia to complete space rendezvous and docking procedures, Xinhua said.
According to the mission schedule, the astronauts will remain in the space station for 30 days and spend a total of 33 days in space, making the mission the longest in space so far for China.
In a manned space mission in 2013, three Chinese astronauts spent 15 days in orbit and docked with a space laboratory, the Tiangong 1.
Advancing China's space program is a priority for Beijing, with President Xi Jinping calling for the country to establish itself as a space power.
China insists its space program is for peaceful purposes.
Shenzhou 11, whose name translates as "Divine Vessel", will also carry three experiments designed by Hong Kong middle school students and selected in a science competition, including one that will take silk worms into space.
The US Defense Department has highlighted China's increasing space capabilities, saying it was pursuing activities aimed at preventing other nations using space-based assets in a crisis.
China has been working to develop its space program for military, commercial and scientific purposes, but is still playing catch-up to established space powers the United States and Russia.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- SpaceX returns to flight, sending satellites into orbit
- SpaceX counts down to first launch after rocket explosion
- Scientists link higher dementia risk to living near heavy traffic
- Scientists discover a new human organ
- Virtual butler 'Jarvis' takes up residence in Facebook founder's home
- Remarkable feathered dinosaur tail found in chunk of amber
- Human ancestor 'Lucy' adept at tree climbing as well as walking
- Navigation system failure cited in crash of European Mars lander
- Trump wants NASA to focus on deep space missions
- US weather satellite's launch promises 'quantum leap' in forecasts
- Bangladesh probing Bengali army officers' crime links in Pakistan war
- Cricketer Arafat Sunny remanded in ICT case filed by woman
- President hopes Bangladesh will get developed nation status by 2041
- Two Indian soldiers killed in Assam
- Bangladesh to devise master plan in January to improve its 'ease of doing business' rankings
- Bangladesh cricketer Arafat Sunny arrested in ICT case filed by woman
- New Zealand complete series sweep after Bangladesh collapse
- Arrests on fake warrants discovered in Bangladesh
- Awami League leader fires his shotgun, injures 20 in Kushtia
- Hasina promises to track down, bring MP Liton's killers to justice