Chinese manned space mission docks with space station: Xinhua
Published: 2016-10-19 12:07:38.0 BdST Updated: 2016-10-19 12:07:38.0 BdST
China's Shenzhou 11 manned spacecraft has successfully docked with China's Tiangong 2 space lab, and two astronauts have entered the lab, China's official news agency Xinhua said Wednesday.
China is the third country after the United States and Russia to complete space rendezvous and docking procedures, Xinhua said.
According to the mission schedule, the astronauts will remain in the space station for 30 days and spend a total of 33 days in space, making the mission the longest in space so far for China.
In a manned space mission in 2013, three Chinese astronauts spent 15 days in orbit and docked with a space laboratory, the Tiangong 1.
Advancing China's space program is a priority for Beijing, with President Xi Jinping calling for the country to establish itself as a space power.
China insists its space program is for peaceful purposes.
Shenzhou 11, whose name translates as "Divine Vessel", will also carry three experiments designed by Hong Kong middle school students and selected in a science competition, including one that will take silk worms into space.
The US Defense Department has highlighted China's increasing space capabilities, saying it was pursuing activities aimed at preventing other nations using space-based assets in a crisis.
China has been working to develop its space program for military, commercial and scientific purposes, but is still playing catch-up to established space powers the United States and Russia.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Scientists launch campaign to restore Pluto to the planet club
- Strong tails helped early dinosaurs stand on two back feet
- SpaceX plans to send first paying tourists around moon next year
- Astronomers find seven Earth-size planets where life may be possible
- Launch of SpaceX Falcon rocket aborted seconds before liftoff
- Scientists claim existence of lost Pacific Ocean continent
- India launches record 104 satellites at one go
- US government scientists defy President Trump
- SpaceX returns to flight, sending satellites into orbit
- SpaceX counts down to first launch after rocket explosion
- Four suspects dead inside Sylhet's terror den, army to continue operation
- Indian visa rules for Bangladeshis relaxed further
- Army releases videos of assault on Sylhet militant hideout
- Former Indian army veterans all praise for Bangladesh para-commandos
- Shibbari siege must end sooner to deny militants a psychological victory
- Sex in Thai city frustrates junta
- BNP softens stance against Chief Election Commissioner Nurul Huda
- Buoyant Bangladesh primed to secure first ODI series against Sri Lanka
- Trump son-in-law to testify on foreign contacts in Russia probe
- Fine, jail time for men who occupy women's seat on public transport