India’s Mars mission this year
Published: 2013-02-25 10:22:58.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-25 10:31:44.0 BdST
India will launch its first mission to Mars this year, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Thursday, as the emerging Asian nation looks to play catch up in the global space race alongside the United States, Russia and its giant neighbor China.
"Several space missions are planned for 2013, including India's first mission to Mars and the launch of our first navigational satellite," Mukherjee told parliament.
India will send a satellite in October via an unmanned spacecraft to orbit the red planet, blasting off from the southeastern coast in a mission expected to cost about $83 million, scientists who are part of the mission say.
The spacecraft, which will be made in India, will take nine months to reach Mars and then launch itself in an elliptical orbit about 500 km (310 miles) from the planet.
"The mission is ready to roll," Deviprasad Karnik, a scientist from the India Space Research Organization (ISRO), said by phone from the city of Bangalore.
India's mission to Mars has drawn criticism in a country suffering from high levels of malnutrition and power shortages, and currently experiencing its worst slowdown in growth in ten years. But India has long argued that technology developed in its space program has practical applications to everyday life.
India's space exploration program began in 1962. Five years ago, its Chandrayaan satellite found evidence of water on the moon. India is now looking at landing a wheeled rover on the moon in 2014.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Work on sex life of rats, life as a badger honoured at Ig Nobel Prizes
- Wild mango alternative for cocoa butter, says Bangladesh researcher Sayma Akhter
- Scientists find Earth-like planet circling sun's nearest neighbour
- Scientists find potential new antibiotic, right under their noses
- Astronomers spy giant planet, three stars in odd celestial ballet
- NASA's Juno spacecraft loops into orbit around Jupiter
- ET phone home: China eyes hunt for alien life with giant telescope
- Solar plane lands in Spain after three-day Atlantic crossing
- Human flights to Mars still at least 15 years off: ESA head
- Einstein 2.0: gravitational waves detected for a second time
- Sloppy Bangladesh sneak 7-run last-over win over brave Afghanistan
- Bangladesh baby, who came to life six hours after 'being dead', dies at Dhaka hospital
- Tamim scores 9000 international runs as first Bangladesh batsman
- Patuakhali fourth grader to receive PM’s letter Monday with pledge to bridge Payra River
- Shakib ascends to top wickettaker throne for Bangladesh in all formats
- Bangladesh-origin man arrested in New York sex racket
- Gold bars found in waste basket at Dhaka airport
- Patuakhali fourth grader receives PM’s letter with pledge to bridge Payra River
- Trump tells Netanyahu he would recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital
- Former Dhaka mayor Khoka’s 66.5 acres of land in Gazipur confiscated