India’s Mars mission this year
Published: 2013-02-25 10:22:58.0 BdST Updated: 2013-02-25 10:31:44.0 BdST
India will launch its first mission to Mars this year, President Pranab Mukherjee said on Thursday, as the emerging Asian nation looks to play catch up in the global space race alongside the United States, Russia and its giant neighbor China.
"Several space missions are planned for 2013, including India's first mission to Mars and the launch of our first navigational satellite," Mukherjee told parliament.
India will send a satellite in October via an unmanned spacecraft to orbit the red planet, blasting off from the southeastern coast in a mission expected to cost about $83 million, scientists who are part of the mission say.
The spacecraft, which will be made in India, will take nine months to reach Mars and then launch itself in an elliptical orbit about 500 km (310 miles) from the planet.
"The mission is ready to roll," Deviprasad Karnik, a scientist from the India Space Research Organization (ISRO), said by phone from the city of Bangalore.
India's mission to Mars has drawn criticism in a country suffering from high levels of malnutrition and power shortages, and currently experiencing its worst slowdown in growth in ten years. But India has long argued that technology developed in its space program has practical applications to everyday life.
India's space exploration program began in 1962. Five years ago, its Chandrayaan satellite found evidence of water on the moon. India is now looking at landing a wheeled rover on the moon in 2014.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- SpaceX returns to flight, sending satellites into orbit
- SpaceX counts down to first launch after rocket explosion
- Scientists link higher dementia risk to living near heavy traffic
- Scientists discover a new human organ
- Virtual butler 'Jarvis' takes up residence in Facebook founder's home
- Remarkable feathered dinosaur tail found in chunk of amber
- Human ancestor 'Lucy' adept at tree climbing as well as walking
- Navigation system failure cited in crash of European Mars lander
- Trump wants NASA to focus on deep space missions
- US weather satellite's launch promises 'quantum leap' in forecasts
- Narayanganj seven-murder: Nur Hossain, former Lt Col Tarek Sayeed, 24 others get death sentences
- Former RAB man blames ex-commander for consequences after conviction for seven murders
- Tangail Awami League expels MP Rana, prime suspect in freedom fighter's murder
- Bangladesh skipper Mushfiqur blames bowlers after losing Wellington Test
- Narayanganj seven-murder sentences at a glance: 26 get death penalty
- Istanbul New Year's nightclub attacker caught: Media reports
- Actor Kalyan Corraya gets bail in hit-and-run case
- Expatriate found dead beside Gazipur rail tracks hours after arriving Dhaka
- Istanbul nightclub attack involved an intelligence organisation: deputy PM
- RAB's image brightened by cooperation in 7-murder probe: Home minister