Awami League will address its weaknesses, says Obaidul
Staff Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-04-02 17:06:31.0 BdST Updated: 2017-04-02 17:06:31.0 BdST
The central working committee of the Awami League is going to decide on the "conflicts" that exist within the party, said its General Secretary Obaidul Quader.
The leader met the press on Sunday at his party office and discussed the recently held by-polls at Sunamganj and mayor elections at Comilla.
"We have discussed what our weaknesses are and what needs to be done," he said.
"We will make recommendations at the meeting of the Central Working Committee due on Apr 12. Party chief Sheikh Hasina will head the meeting."
The Comilla city polls held on Mar 30 ended in the defeat of Awami League candidate Anjum Sultana Sima by 11,000 votes to BNP candidate Monirul Haque Sakku.
An internal feud between Awami League lawmaker AKM Bahauddin Bahar and Sima's father Awami League leader Afzal Khan reportedly led to the results.
The ruling Awami League will bring out a procession on Apr 14 from Bahadur Shah Park, said Obaidul, who is also the road transport and bridges minister.
A five-member committee has been formed to arrange programmes for Apr 17, the anniversary of the provisional government of independent Bangladesh, better known as Mujibnagar government.
Presidium member Mohammad Nasim will head the committee, Obaidul said.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- BNP front Sramik Dal to parade down Dhaka streets on May Day
- Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader warns party leaders and supporters
- Bangladesh Islamist groups plan new alliances for next election
- Khaleda asks for new judge again in Zia Orphanage Trust graft trial
- Khaleda’s 11 cases: Hearings delayed again
- BNP designates 51 central leaders to rejuvenate party activists across the country
- Tarique Rahman's mother-in-law secures bail in graft case
- Election 'won't be easy' without BNP, Mirza Fakhrul says
- Stage collapses in Mohila Dal event in Chittagong, BNP leaders blame overcrowding
- Awami League MP Shamim Osman says Hifazat was not involved in May 5 Motijheel mayhem
- Suspicion over claim against Dhaka University teacher over use of 'indecent' photos
- Bangla film star Shakib Khan boycotted indefinitely
- Bangladesh prodded to 'reposition’ itself to improve business climate
- New VAT law: Heated exchange between Muhith, FBCCI
- Sehri and iftar timings for the coming Ramadan
- Mashrafe flying back to Bangladesh from England as wife falls sick
- Steps will be taken if neglect found in haor dam construction: PM
- Bangladesh is now free of formalin in food, says commerce minister
- Bangladesh actor Shakib Khan apologises to film fraternity after boycott
- BGB recovers more than 1.2 million Yaba tablets in Teknaf