Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-16 04:27:41.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-16 04:27:41.0 BdST
BNP Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir has said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina is jealous o Muhammad Yunus because she believes ‘she deserves the Nobel Peace Prize more than him’.
“You identified him as the enemy. What’s the reason? The reason is, people say, you believe you deserve it more than Prof Yunus,” Fakhrul said at a discussion at the Dhaka Reporters’ Unity on Wednesday.
“He (Yunus) is our pride. The whole world respects him, but you are blaming him (for blocking Padma Bridge fund),” Fakhrul said.
His reaction came after recent statements from the prime minister accusing Yunus of exerting his influence through the former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton to block the World Bank fund meant for the bridge.
Bangladesh is now funding the bridge project with its own resources.
When a section of the audience started giggling at Fakhrul’s statement, he said, “Don’t laugh, don’t laugh. She believes in that. She believes she deserves it for the so-called peace treaty in the CHT."
“Whatever way you want to insult him or harass him with cases or the NBR, you cannot stop Yunus as the whole world is with him,” the BNP leader said.
He also highlighted Grameen Bank’s contribution to Bangladesh’s economy.
“Those who will deny Grameen Bank’s contribution to Bangladesh will deny the reality,” he continued.
He also contradicted government growth claim and development data and said the picture was, in fact, gloomy.
He cited falling remittance as one of the indicators in favour of his claim.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings