BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com
Published: 2017-02-14 00:03:35.0 BdST Updated: 2017-02-14 00:03:35.0 BdST
The BNP is planning to ask the prime minister to hold a dialogue on an ‘election-time government’.
“People of this country know that without a neutral government, elections cannot be fair, so we are going to propose to PM for a dialogue on the election-facilitating government,” Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir said at a press conference at the Naya Paltan party office on Monday.
“The president has done his job. He has bungled up. Now we will approach the prime minister for dialogue,” he said, making no bones about their displeasure on the selection of the chief election commissioner.
He said now the government would have to take the initiative for a dialogue; otherwise, it would be held responsible for any consequences.
Fakhrul said BNP chief Khaleda Zia had placed a 13-point proposal on forming the new EC that prompted the president to hold dialogue with political parties.
“You know what our achievement is…our achievement is until we demanded a dialogue on EC, the AL had repeatedly said that there would be no dialogue; the election will be held as per the Constitution,” he said on being asked.
He said "we had made our position clear about the new CEC".
“I can’t tell you now whether we would take part in general elections under this CEC, but local government elections are a continuous process,” Fakhrul added.
He also said they would soon announce the committee for Dhaka City BNP.
Any unauthorised use or reproduction of bdnews24.com content for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited and constitutes copyright infringement liable to legal action.
- Bangla should be made an official UN language: Obaidul Quader
- BNP will continue movement until democracy restored: Mirza Fakhrul
- BNP to present guidelines on 'poll-time supporting government'
- Prime minister's remarks will influence Khaleda trials, says BNP
- Khaleda won't be spared if found guilty of stealing poor's money, Hasina says
- BNP sees 'ulterior motive' behind government's move to introducing EVMs
- Fakhrul says Prime Minister Hasina ‘jealous’ of Yunus’ Nobel Peace Prize
- People will never accept Nurul Huda as CEC, claims BNP
- BNP to prod PM for dialogue on election-time government
- BNP participating in Upazila elections despite 'doubts' over fair elections
- British Muslim schoolteacher of Bangladeshi origin denied entry to US
- PM calls for way to stop youths from speaking Bangla in English style
- Myanmar probing police 'cover-up' of deaths of two Rohingya Muslims
- BNP Chief Khaleda slammed for standing on the main platform at Central Shaheed Minar
- Italian, Swiss speak of their love for the language in Dhaka
- Bus driver gets life in prison in case over deaths of Tareque Masud, Mishuk Munier
- BSF claims its non-lethal strategy drawing more attacks along borders
- Former Jatiya Party MP Kader masterminded Gaibandha MP Liton's killing: Police
- Ex-Jatiya Party MP Kader Khan arrested over MP Liton murder
- Narsingdi man detained over murder of his three minor siblings